Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mori1_gw

craftman 5 HP chipper shredder frozen?

mori1
10 years ago

I bought a used craftman 5HP chipper shredder several weeks ago. I've been trying to find the model number on the thing but still haven't located it. Anyway, I had been using it for about five minutes when it just stop working. I should have checked it before hand then I would have noticed that the oil was low. Of course I have no idea what type of oil to put in it. My problem now is starter handle won't pull. It like something has jammed into place. I took the hopper off to see if a rock could have gotten into it but I don't see anything and the blade won't move. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments (21)

• baymee
    10 years ago

Most likely your chipper has some sort of clutch to disengage the motor from the chipper or else you wouldn't be able to start your motor. I have seen some with a very heavy flywheel and a very hard pull, and they start with one pull.

I will assume your model has an easy-pull motor. You should be able to move the chipper with your hand, with the motor off.

If this is true and you cannot pull-start the motor, it is likely seized. Is there an exposed motor pulley that you might be able to turn just a bit? It's unlikely, but the starter might have locked up.

From here-on, things get more complicated.

• mori1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oops, I forgot to add that it looks similar to #247795940. It has two levers on the side , the first one is labeled; run & choke. The second one s labeled; off, idle and fast. I have no idea where the clutch would be. I did take off the plastic hopper to see if a rock or piece of metal got in there but all I found was stuck pieces of wood. I did try to turn the blade but the thing will not turn and easy pull won't pull.

• baymee
    10 years ago

Are you able to see if a belt is connected between the motor and the knives?

If there is a belt, it probably has a belt. If the chipper wheel doesn't move at all, I suspect the motor is locked up.

• mori1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, I can't see a belt, I would have to remove part of the casing to see how its connected.

• baymee
    10 years ago

When it was working, was the engine easy to start, or did it require a very strong pull?

Can you remove the starter cover and put a socket on the flywheel nut?

• mori1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The engine is a Briggs & Stratton. It was a semi easy pull, I would brace it with my foot because it would move when I pulled the cord. It would take 3 or 4 times before it would start.

I could remove the cover but it would take me awhile because I don't have a manual to look at. I wish I could find the serial or model number.

• baymee
    10 years ago

maybe if you post a picture, we will recognize it.

• mori1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hope you can see it.

• mori1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Where the shredded leaves come out.

• baymee
    10 years ago

Maybe a little farther away. I don't recognize it.

• mori1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow.

• mla2ofus
    10 years ago

It looks identical to my MTD. The rotor connects directly to a tapered crankshaft IIRC. Put a socket on the bolt head in the center of the shredder and try to turn it clockwise. You can remove all the bolts holding the rotor housing to get a better view of things. Since you said it was low on oil I fear the engine is seized.
    The rotor can be removed by taking off the shredder blade, run the center bolt back in a few threads, attach a puller to hex head bolts inserted in the shredder blade bolt holes and pushing on the center bolt. Once you have sufficient tension on it tap the puller bolt w/ 2 lb hammer. It should break loose fairly easily.
    HTH,

• mori1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a couple of pictures of the whole machine.

• mori1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Does this help?

• Greg Goyeneche
    10 years ago

Earlier poster is correct; impeller is directly mounted in the crankshaft. However, I believe crank is straight and not tapered. If straight, it will be harder to pull off.

Before you go that route, try to break the engine loose. Pour a couple ounces of diesel or kerosine down the spark plug hole. You can also use a penetrating oil like PB Blaster or Kroil. Using the chipper blade as a lever rock the crank back and forth. It may break free.

If it does, make sure you have a full crankcase of oil and try to light it up.

Many times an engine will freeze, but can be freed up. Sometimes there is now damage; other times you are left with a smoker. I've experienced both. Worst case is engine is permanently locked or will smoke objectionably, which means you have to replace the engine.

BTW, I believe the Craftsman part number is 247.797851. Message me thru Garden Web and I can send you a PDF of the manual with parts list.

• baymee
    10 years ago

If you're sure there isn't a rock or twig stuck between the impellor and the wall, I'd also say then that the engine is locked up. These things aren't easy pullers because you're pulling so much weight, but once it starts turning, it kicks off easy.

• mori1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay I sprayed some PB down the spark plug hole. The only way I get it to turn was with a philip and a rubber mallet.

ggoyeneche, I looked up the craftman part number you provided that is very close to what I have except for my hopper is plastic and it didn't come with a bag. Which would have been helpful.

This post was edited by mori1 on Mon, May 27, 13 at 21:11

• mla2ofus
    10 years ago

I have to ask what you used the philips and a rubber hammer??
    Mike

• dwhite36
    9 years ago

Attempting to remove the impeller from the B&S engine. The chipper blade is attached to the engine output crankshaft with a 3/8-24 X 2 1/4" long cap screw. The first inch or so of the impeller hub is threded for 7/16-20. This indicates to me that if you threaded in a 7/16-20 X 3" cap screw for an inch and grabbed the head of the 7/16" cap screw with a slide hammer the impeller should come right off. So far, mine hasn't. I am soaking the hole with penetrating oil all night tonight, maybe tomorrow will bring better results. Looking at the exploded drawing of my chipper, the output engine shaft is round with a slot for a 1/4" key. I suppose if tomorrow doesn't bring the desired results it's off to the small engine shop. I don't take defeat well.

• mori1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I gave up on mine and gave it to someone who needed parts. Next time I will do better.

• dwhite36
    9 years ago

Update on the shredder impeller removal, I finally get mine off. Needed tools: 1 ea gear puller
    1 ea hammer
    1 ea 3/8-24 X 3" cap screw
    I drilled a concave divot in the head of the cap screw to keep the puller screw from walking as it was tightened. With the chipper blades removed, 2 slots are available to hook the narrow puller jaws in. tighten the puller screw, tap the puller screw snug and tap again and repeat until the impeller pops off. In my earlier post I mentioned a slot for a square 'key' to lock the impeller to the engine shaft. I found there is no 'key'. The shaft and the impeller are a taper fit, a darned good one! I believe the slide hammer method would have worked, I just needed a longer slide rod and a heaver slide. My reason for removing my impeller is that all 4 of the mounting cap screws that mount the 'flail housing assay' to the engine were missing, needing to be replaced.
    Side note: Looking at the various photos of the different sizes of this shredder, it appears the shredder is the same, just the engine sizes vary. The 5hp looks just like my 8hp.