Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
which cordless or electric string trimmer to buy?

Posted by trudyh (My Page) on
Tue, May 4, 10 at 18:12

I made a mistake when I moved, and didn't bring my ancient weedeater string trimmer, thinking it would be cheaper to replace it.

I bought a Black & Decker which was so frustrating (I never could get the string to extend more than 3 in. out) I threw it out. I've been reading customer reviews for string trimmers on amazon, and there doesn't seem to be any one that has a good rep. At least half the reviews say trimmer X is terrible.

Often the problems are with feeding string, or the plastic melts or the engine starts smoking. Comments go into esoteric types of string that might work better than the recommended one.

Is there a simple to use, reliable, idiot proof electric or cordless string trimer out there? My old one was a 15 inch, so I am hoping for one that has a reasonable radius.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: which cordless or electric string trimmer to buy?

• Posted by canguy British Columbia (My Page) on
    Tue, May 4, 10 at 21:44

The best one I have seen is the Stihl FSE60. It is not the cheapest, is a little heavy compared to others, but seems very reliable. IMHO, the cordless are pretty much useless for anything larger than a town house lot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here