Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Odd gardening tools....

Posted by viarustica SC (My Page) on
Fri, May 24, 13 at 18:17

I have inherited a lot of gardening tools from my super gardening grandmother who raised six kids, mostly off of the garden. Most of the tools I know and still use. These three on the other hand I'm not so sure about. The one in the middle I'm pretty certain is an oddball adjustable variation of the "heart hoe" idea. The other two I just can't figure out. The left most contraption when I push it through the dirt kind of loosens up the dirt like a stirrup hoe....but with much more "collateral damage." The other on the right just doesn't make any sense to me. The curve part isn't beveled like it's meant to dig but the pointy part is beveled, on both sides. Any ideas here?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Odd gardening tools....

Yes, I think the tool the left is a stirrup hoe (aka Dutch hoe). Best to pull that through the dirt. Does a great job upending weed seedlings that are 2" or less tall. Weekly maintenance item.

The one on the right seems to be some kind of three-in-one tool. Two pointed edges for moving dirt, curved furrowing on the left make a small trench, straight edge on the right scarifies (cuts hard soil). A notch in the middle for grabbing a plant stalk. I say it's made for planting then removing sweet corn. The rust on the curved edge indicates that edge was used the most, furrowing

Never had a heart hoe, but the middle one does look like that.

Nice to have old tools like that. Store them where you can see them. Remember who went before.

o
RE: Odd gardening tools....

• Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Thu, May 30, 13 at 17:45

Agree with Tom. Just wanted to say thanks for posting and sharing with us. reminds me of my Great Grandmother who lived by herself till she was 92, had chickens, garden, and used to visit her "invalid" kids..:-) Wonder if they were made of sterner stuff in the old days?

Ev

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here