Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beaver Blades

Posted by dexterstkd Missouri (My Page) on
Wed, May 5, 10 at 18:17

I'm quite adept with a chainsaw and have heard good things about the beaver blade and would like to try one on my Troy-Bilt brush cutter. However, I'm curious about the chain on the beaver blade. I'm well aware that chains on chainsaws need frequent tightening when new as they loosen up with use. Does the chain on a beaver blade get loose and need to be tightened? If so, how does one tighten the chain? Over time, when the chain is eventually sharpened down to nubs and needs to be replaced, is it difficult to replace the chain or is it more advisable to simply replace the entire blade? Thanks for any useful information you can give on this subject.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beaver Blades

As best I can tell from the pix I have seen of the Beaver Blades, you do not tighten them. The chain does not run around the blade but appear to be permanently attached to the blade via fasteners. I imagine the chain(s) will just move a little more if they loosen up.

I also imagine you just sharpen and lower rakers (assuming it has rakers) as needed just like chainsaw chain. My guess is that the chain sections are not meant to be replaced and you would buy a new blade.

o
RE: Beaver Blades

I have used a beaver blade for a number of years. I have always had great results with it. It does get dull, just like any chainsaw would. I have sharpened it with a file and also with a chainsaw grinder (you have to be very careful when doing this). Safety equipment is highly recommended.

I own a sharpening shop. I finally wore out the chain. I decided to see if I could replace the chain. It worked. I broke the chain with a chain breaker. Then I removed the chain and counted the drive links. It was a .325/.050 chain. I then cut a piece of chain with the same number of drive links, gently tapped in into the two disks of the blade making sure there was no slack, and then put in a master link like you would with any saw chain. I now know the chain can be replaced economically and I can do this from now on. Hope this info helps you out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here