Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stihl ms-290 chainsaw won't start

Posted by scrollj (My Page) on
Fri, May 7, 10 at 18:54

I just replaced my engine in my stihl ms290 chainsaw. The reason was it started to smoke. I lost compression due to it and the exhaust side of piston is all scratched up. Not really sure what caused that maybe not enough oil in gas/oil mixture.
Anyways, with oem engine and good compression engine won't start. I have the stihl manual and it says nothing for procedures after changing engine.
I have good spark and if I put a little fuel into combustion chamber it will fire and turn over, but will not stay running.
The gas tank has a good seal I'm guessing, because when I open it, you can hear tank loose pressure. Also with gas tank shut and removing fuel line to the carb, it sprays out.
The manifold does look dry though. Does anyone have any advice. Going to try to clean up carb tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help.

John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stihl ms-290 chainsaw won't start

If you don;t get an answer here, try arborsite. Those guys eat chainsaws for breakfast.

Your problem may be just as simple as a flooded engine--very common on Stihl chainsaws.

o
RE: Stihl ms-290 chainsaw won't start

Dude if your still hangin in , goe directly to the Arborist Site they have experts who will assist with your needs. This is not a Rocket Science Fix ! You have a very good model and Manufacturered Saw !

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here