Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john_wa

Anyone use the Stihl Power Scythe?

john_wa
14 years ago

I live just outside of town in a small subdivision among larger farm plots and I mow and maintain roughly 2-3/4 acres of field grass (former pasture) around our home. Behind me is a 100-acre parcel where they have some cattle and while the largest part of it is used for grazing, the section that adjoins my property is used to grow hay, so the cows are hardly ever there. There is a 4' tall electric fence between us. As you can imagine, the grass on their side of the fence gets pretty high before they cut it for hay and if I just let it grow through the fence it looks pretty messy. I've been cutting it with a string trimmer and it's been a pain because the bottom wire is close to the ground and the string is always catching on it and breaking.

I'm considering getting the Stihl Power Scythe attachment for my trimmer to use instead of the string head. It looks somewhat like a hedge trimmer and it's actually made for trimming grass in parking lots or next to buildings where you don't want to be throwing rocks around with a string trimmer. Have any of you used this attachment (it costs $200 for the attachment only) for something like this? What are your thoughts and how well do you think it works? Can they be sharpened? Or maybe you might have other suggestions.

Thanks a lot,

John in Olympia, WA

Comments (4)