Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is Walmart's Accel 30 Wt Non Detergent oil safe to old mowers?

Posted by loger (My Page) on
Fri, May 11, 12 at 19:55

Is Walmart's Accel 30 Wt Non Detergent oil safe to use in old lawnmowers? I wanted cheaper general-purpose oil but that is usually a 30 Wt High Detergent oil. The Wt I had right but I missed non-detergent until I started a mower's oil change today. I have never owned a new mower or tried to find a manual's specs vs using 30 Wt HD since 1973 in 3 mower. I managed to find a new qt of 30 Wt HD Castrol in my stash (probably 20 yrs old, LOL). Now I wonder if it would have mattered for my once a year oil chance.

The only qt of non detergent 30 wt I have specifically purchased was to oil wics in my AC/Heat Central Unit's motors (1970s per the installer).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is Walmart's Accel 30 Wt Non Detergent oil safe to old mowers

Non detergent is not suitable for an engine, the detergents break down the contaminants from combustion. Save it for pressure washer and air compressor pumps.

o

It's hard to find (impossible maybe?) a non detergent oil that has the proper anti wear additives.

I like the older Diesel rated oils because they have a good anti wear "package" and don't tend to eat flat tappet cams. modern oils are designed for cars with roller tappets and have a different additive package.

o

My 2 cents . Non Detergent Oils were the norm for lawnmowers and snowblowers for years. Normally these units do not have filters . I would not recomend these oils when you can have the dispersent additive reduce sludge and dirt , while rust inhibitors (alkaline) reduce the oxidation potential which occurrs when acidic oil becomes an issue. In an emergency sure but why save a few cents today and pay $ later ?

o

The bottle clearly states below basically what has been shared. I'll use it as a gen non eng application.

Thanks For Sharing And Helping Me to "Wake Up And Slow Down"!

ACCEL Non-Detergent 30W Motor Oil is recommended for compressors and hydraulic systems that require non-detergent oils.
ACCEL Non-Detergent 30W Motor Oil, 1 qt:
* Recommended for compressors and hydraulic systems that require non-detergent oils
* Effective in lubrication of bearings and chains in non-critical "once through" systems
* Economical
* Good shear stability
* Good lubricity
* Straight mineral oil
* Good flow characteristics
* Not for use in automotive gasoline engines

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here