Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Troy Bilt Horse slips out of forward

Posted by horseman54 IN (My Page) on
Mon, May 17, 10 at 20:30

I have an old Troy Bilt Horse with the 7 HP Kohler engine. I just put a new set of belts ($44 ouch!) on it and it still doesn't want to stay in forward motion unless I hold down the lever. I tried putting a stiffer spring on the mechanism and even replaced the worn out rivets in the assembly. The block is adjusted all the way down for the little wheel to lock into but it just works it's way up after a few feet. What am I missing here to fix this thing?
It seems like the block detent isn't deep enough or maybe the angle of the detent needs to be ground a little steeper.
What do you all think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Troy Bilt Horse slips out of forward

Don't know what year model your Horse is, but my 1987 Horse uses only ONE drive belt. Although there are two sets of pulleys you use the belt on either the front two or the back two pulleys, depending on whether you want the high speed range, or the low speed range. For the high speed range, you use the pulley set that is closest to the engine. If you've got two belts installed, so that you're using all four of the pulleys, AND IF YOUR HORSE IS A 1980'S MODEL, take one of the belts off. (I don't know about newer models.)

Also, my troubleshooting guide says that if the unit won't stay in "forward," the belt is too tight, and the block should be moved UP slightly - so if you've got the block all the way down perhaps that's too tight.

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Mon, May 17, 10 at 22:37

There is supposed to be 1/4" air gap between the roller and bottoming out on the wedge. Move the block up a bit.

o

• Posted by artey Northwest (My Page) on
    Tue, May 18, 10 at 13:34

I had the same problem with an older Troybilt. I just went with slightly shorter belts purchased from an auto parts store and the problem was solved.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here