Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can't start my gas hedge trimmer.

Posted by sightunseen (My Page) on
Sun, May 29, 11 at 20:45

I have an ECHO HC-210e gas trimmer. I had just bought it 2nd hand. I ran it great for about 10 minutes when it suddenly throttled high. I released the gas right away and it died and hasn't started again since despite much effort. Here's what I've done:

-I verfied spark at the plug by pulling the plug while maintaining connection, holding the hex area to the cylinder wall, pulling the start and observing sparks at the business area of the plug
-I verified gas getting to the cylinder by removing the spark plug and being able to sling liquid off it (I had just done multiple pulls with the throttle fully pulled)
-I replaced the diaphram, metering valve, lever and spring (items 4,5,7,8,9,10,26, & 27 in linked diagram-see below:)
See this link for the diagram and a troubleshooting chart for the trimmer http://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/6640/trouble-starting-my-gas-hedge-trimmer

I assume that the "high tension cord end" is the connector at the spark plug. I'm not exactly sure how to test that. I pulled the plug cap and held it close while pulling the start, but observed no spark. Can someone confirm how to perform that particular check, or confirm that it is unnecessary because I found spark at the plug electrode?

Also, can anyone give me anymore guidance? Of the 100's of pulls I've done since the original incident, I never one time got a single fire from the engine despite every possible choke configuration and lean or heavy throttling.

By the way, while changing the parts I listed above, I thoroughly cleaned the carb.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can't start my gas hedge trimmer.

you might want Check the filter,fuel lines, and primer for cracks. It will suck air and not push fuel through the carb. next I would check compression or remove the muffler and peak at the cylinder wall and rings. Running high then dying sounds like to me it leaned out and starved it's self of fuel from sucking air or plugging up.

It also maybe flooding if you see raw gas spitting out the spark plug hole (needle not sealing off letting fuel free flow through the carb). IF the plug is wet when you removed it it's either flooded or no spark and you said it gets pretty blue spark when you tested it right?

If you got to prime it after you clean out the cylinder (removing all the raw gas by pulling the rope with the spark plug out or washing it out with carb. cleaner), inspecting the fuel lines, making sure the jug (head) mount screws are tight, and the crankcase sump cover screws use carb. cleaner. It will evaporate quickly and unless you spray more than 2 second blast it hard to flood it. should hit off the carb. cleaner if it getting fire. If it does then you got fuel blockage somewhere. which I would first suspect the needle not releasing (little spring out of place) letting fuel pass.

o
RE: Can't start my gas hedge trimmer.

It's quite possible it ruined a crankshaft seal. The running fast,then dying and not starting are signs of it.
Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here