Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Troy Bilt Horse Drive Shaft Bearings

Posted by gildomilo z6 CT (My Page) on
Fri, May 1, 09 at 21:11

I took my horse apart because the front transmission seal was leaking. When replacing it I noticed that the drive shaft had 1/2-1" of play. So I bought some new bearings and put them in the machine. When I took the drive shaft out I noticed the rear worm gear on the shaft had a clean surface worn into the back of it maybe 1/4" deep. I'm wondering if I need to replace the worm gear,because it's causing too much slop in the drive shaft? I put 8 shims in and it's still got some play in it!!!
Any idea if a welded driveshaft is compatible with one that's multiple pieces?
Mine is very old and non welded, so I think I can get a replacement worm gear for it, or maybe I can get a spacer bushing from a local bearing warehouse?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Troy Bilt Horse Drive Shaft Bearings

gildomilo,
I don't have any direct experience with these units, but while researching sources of owner + parts manuals for my Chipper/shredder, I found a site that has scanned copies of discontinued Troy-Bilt equipment. There are detailed Master Parts Catalogs for Horse Models that may be of interest to you - if you don't already have one. You'll find a 180 page manual for 1977-78 models followed by a 44 page manual from 1988. Link's listed below -

Here is a link that might be useful: Troy-Bilt Manuals

o
RE: Troy Bilt Horse Drive Shaft Bearings

Call this number and Bill can help with parts and your problem Bill 1-800-609-5110.
The worn bearing is the rear one and should be replaced. Remove the tine cover
and the rear cap. Drive the main shaft to the rear using a "Dead Blow" or shot
filled mallet. Don't use a metal hammer or you will damage the shaft. The
bearing will come out with the shaft. The front race should just slip out. Drive
the old bearing off the shaft and press a new one on. You can also slip a new
bearing on the front if you choose.

Remove the seal from the front cover and replace the cover and bearing race.
Slide the shaft in until the front bearing seats in the race. Slide the rear
race in and add shims as required. Bolt the cap up. Test for end play and add or
remove shims as necessary. Once everything is ok, install the new seal at the
front, add gear oil and go. I can supply the parts. Bill 1-800-609-5110

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here