Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1985 montgomery wards tiller

Posted by lionelshalstead va. (My Page) on
Sat, May 30, 09 at 21:12

I have a !985 montgomery wards tiller model GIL 1580 J serial #5080 L21 718 with a 5hp. B&S model 130202 type 1672 02 code 85031907.The brass gear in gear box is bad (teeth broke off).There is a brass gear and a steel gear.Is the brass gear replaceable,and if so.Do you know where i can get this gear? Thank you for your help. Lonnie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1985 montgomery wards tiller

Lonnie, the GIL serial number means that the tiller was manufactured by Gilson. Gilson is long-gone, but the company was taken over by Lawn Boy. Believe it or not, at least some Lawn Boy dealers/service shop have parts manuals (and parts availability) for those old MW machines. Check for a Lawn Boy repair facility in your area.

o

Try Rustytiller.com He should have your model.

If anyone else has Gilson or Monkey-Wards tillers, send PDF copies to the site, so they can be posted for everyones use and enjoyment.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rustytiller

o

Check your Toro dealer. They bought out Lawn Boy and parts are still available through Toro. I just got parts for a 1951 Gilson Tiller.

o

We have acceess to Wards and Gilson tillers. Just e mail me your make, model and serial #, and what part you need.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here