Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schaeffershifter1

garden tiller died and won't restart

schaeffershifter1
10 years ago

It has a 5.5 hp. Briggs engine. It died after 4 rows in the garden and won't start now. I have changed the plug and coil. It has spark now but still won't start.

Comments (4)

• loger_gw
    10 years ago

Please try and give more history, current info and pic of the tiller. Such as:

1. How long had it been since the tiller last ran w/o a problem?

2. If it was stored for a period, was it stored with treated fuel or bone dry of fuel?

3. Have you checked the carb good to know you are getting fuel? Will it fire from a prime?

4. Why did you change the coil and approx gap on coil? Are you getting a good strong blur spark?

5. Do you have points and if so did you check the condition?

6. Do you have good compression in the cyl (approx how much psi)?

Good Luck!

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

Provide the Model & Type# of the engine so we know WHICH Briggs it is out of the dozens of possibilities.

• schaeffershifter1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is a 5.5 hp briggs on a craftsman tiller. I used it the week before with no problems. The gas is good. It was stored all winter with fuel in it but I have already ran all that gas out and it has had about a half tank of new gas. I change the coil because it wouldn't spark. After I changed the coil the spark is good but it still won't run. I didn't have starting fluid yesterday I am going to try that next. Compression seems good I have not put a gauge on it yet.

• schaeffershifter1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The coil I installed was a briggs part it came with a card to set the gap the spark looks good. I will have to go find the model number