Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bar/Chain Recommendations

Posted by pgtr (My Page) on
Tue, May 10, 11 at 21:59

I have a Husqvarna 55 rubbish saw, ~2000, 18" bar, 51cc, 2.4kW@9k,
used mostly on hardwood in VERY sandy conditions.

The original bar/chain is: 72DL, 0.325 pitch, 0.050 gauge, 7T sprocket on tip

the bar has both worn unevenly and warped. It no longer cuts straight,
creating a sharp arc and binding badly when it gets deep enough in.
I've flipped the bar over and this helped considerably. But there is
still a warp in the overall bar and so it's cutting action is still
less than straight.

1) Bar Recommendation: Stay with same size bar or consider a 20" bar?
Any specific recommendations for 18 or 20" bars? (Oregon does not
offer separate bars for this particular application) I'm planning to
stay w/ 0.050 gauge absent alternate recommendations.

2) Chain Recommendation: The chain I'm currently using is Oregon
G-Series 95VPX. Good chain or consider something else? (for hardwood
cutting in my case). I'm thinking I can change the sprocket to 3/8
0.375 pitch. The same saw was available back in the day as the '55
Rancher' but came w/ the 3/8 pitch instead.

3) Ripping Option: I'm planning on doing some lumber ripping on a very small scale
(think mini Alaska mill on 6-8 inch hickory or oak logs). I've read
mixed reviews on dedicated ripping chain vs standard chain. Other than
a smoother cut, some say it's slower less efficient, others faster...
So any recommendations here?

Summary: So I'm looking for a bar/chain recommendation and optionally
a ripping chain recommendation.

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bar/Chain Recommendations

I'd stay with an 18". 51cc is smallish for a 20" bar, but if you need 20" and don't want another saw then it will work.

Baileys often has decent combos. You might consider a hard tip bar (no sprocket). They are a little more durable but also have a little more friction (more reason to use an 18" or even 16" bar with a hard tip).

If your current setup (.325) is working and not worn, it's probably not worth the money to change. If you are having a hard time finding .325 chain and sprockets, that would also be a reason to change. Other than that, I don't think you'd see much change from switching.

I've always read good things about ripping chains, but I mostly read and rarely mill. I did not use a ripping chain, but would if I did it more regularly. I do think your saw is too small for milling. You can do it but it will really work it. I've milled with a 65cc saw and I wouldn't want to do more than 30 minutes with it again. Chainsaw milling is alot about horsepower and lubrication. I'd like to have a bandsaw mill but the cost is just too high.

o
RE: Bar/Chain Recommendations

Have to agree with Mas a 50cc Class saw is rather small for any serious Milling . Most saws that I have worked on which were Milling able were in the 80 cc class with either 36 " or 44 " solid Nose Bars. Oregon and Granberg both offer fine Semi and Full Skip Chains in 0.50 and 3/8 " Pitch . Most Oregon filing is set at 20 degrees with the Granberg set at 10 Degree as compared to Normal Wood cutting angles of 30 Degree to 60 Degree with Hardwood and Pulp wood cutting Limits . For limited use ptgr as you have indicated your Husky could be tried , beware that milling is extemely hard on any saw . Ensure to use quality Premium bar oil and set the flow heavy and set your chain tension taunt 3/16 " deflection at mid bar with 10 lb pull.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here