Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
montesa_vr

tool for pulling sapliings out by the roots

montesa_vr
16 years ago

My land is infested with Siberian Elm saplings, reseeded each year by a row of mature trees planted as a windbreak by some forgotten owner. When they are young they are easy to mow, but perversely, the roots continue to develop and send out a taller, stronger, bushier tree the next year. Mow them three years in a row and eventually they produce a trunk too thick for the mower, along with a root system you wouldn't want to hit with a tiller.

I need to pull these things out by the roots. A tool that looks like it would do the job is called Weed Wrench (http://www.weedwrench.com)-- kind of like a vise on the end of jack handle. Looks like a well designed and high quality product, but over $200 shipped for the largest model.

Last night I was walking across the pasture with a claw hammer in my hand and I tried whacking a Siberian Elm with the claws like the tree was a nail I wanted to pull. I was able to lever the handle back and pull the plant out root and all. Unfortunately many of the saplings are already too large in diameter for the hammer, but it did get me thinking.

What if you could buy something like a mattock with fork in the blade, like the claws of a giant claw hammer? With the leverage of that long handle pulling the roots out would be effortless and it could be made less expensively than a weed wrench.

Anybody ever see such a thing? Anybody have any better ideas?

Comments (68)

• herowena
    16 years ago

In my area of the country, a black tool stands out against the brush. But if it didn't, a can of cheap florescent spray paint would solve the problem quickly enough!

• montesa_vr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

After extensive use of the medium sized Weed Wrench I decided to order an Extractigator. I probably won't get to try it out very soon since it's supposed to be below zero when it arrives.

There were three things I didn't like about the Weed Wrench. First, the jaws seemed to easily gum up with peeled bark and then wouldn't hold on the trunk of the trees, especially smaller ones. Second, I very frequently needed a board under the foot plate to keep the thing from sinking into the ground. But mainly, it just wasn't efficient enough. I wasted a lot of time trying to get the jaws snugged up on the trunks of the trees and keep them gripping while I started the pull.

I don't expect the Extractigator to have quite the pulling power of the medium Weed Wrench, but I'm hoping the design will allow faster pulling of the small stuff. Delivered price is about the same for either unit to Minnesota.

I would still be interested in the largest Weed Wrench for the biggest stuff, but I have found that if I cut the trunks at ground level and squirt the bleeding stump with a mix of Roundup and used motor oil, they don't come back.

None of these tools were actually designed for Siberian Elms, so it's no surprise they don't work perfectly for my application. If I were a metalworker, I'd still try to fabricate some kind of giant claw hammer. I'll let you know how the Extractigator works when the spring thaw hits.

• rustyj14
    16 years ago

A large dump truck and a heavy chain---works well. Go figure!

• maineman
    16 years ago

montesa_vr,

"I'll let you know how the Extractigator works when the spring thaw hits."

Please do. I was beginning to regret purchasing the largest Weed Wrench after using it to pull a bunch of wild brambles (which I still have a bunch of left that need to go). It was definitely overkill for that.

However, when I removed a large overgrown Lilac shrub last year, the large Weed Wrench was severely challenged and anything less wouldn't have defeated it. As it was, it came out in maybe a dozen pieces.

So I'm OK with my big Weed Wrench, but I will be interested to hear of your experiences with the Extractigator. I might get one for the brambles. I'm glad they are orange now.

MM

• davidandkasie
    16 years ago

i have yet to meet a sapling that either my GT or truck could not pull out. once they get too big for the truck to do it, they are trees adn should be cut not pulled.

i have a tow strap i loop around the base and hook to my truck or GT. then i just pull away slowly. the strap tightens and digs in and the tree(pulled some up with a 8" diameter) comes right out. i have only had to snatch on a couple larger ones.

i have also used RU to kill out trees. DO NOT USE STORE BOUGHT RU. go on Ebay and get generic 41% glyphosphate. it is much cheaper. then mix it at 4 oz per gallon. 2 doses a week or so apart and the tree is dead.

• montesa_vr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm sure I could pull these trees out with a truck. But even with the cumbersome Weed Wrench I can pull ten of them in the time it takes to back up a truck, attach a chain, pull the tree, and back up to another tree. I have many hundreds to pull. I need to be able to do 60-80 per hour.

Roundup will kill them but it won't remove the roots from the soil. I'd like to keep the pastures ready to till or plow.

• rhodies
    16 years ago

I have worked with three different products removing 8" seedlings, 4' bushes and 10' trees (Weedwrench, Pullerbear, and Extractigator). And the CLEAR winner is the Extractigator (47" 12 lbs):http: //www.extractigator.com/ There has been only a couple times where I could have used the "Heavy" weedwrench (60" 24 lbs) for removing larger trees. The two times my Extractigator has been borrowed, both men's wives ordered immediately this tool as Christmas & birthday gifts for their husbands.

• windchime
    15 years ago

montesa, Did your extractigator arrive yet, and have you had a chance to try it out? I came on-line today to order the weed wrench, but after finding this thread and learing there were alternatives, I'm not sure. I know I can't trust the 2 recommendations above from herowena and rbpais because they joined GW the same day they 1st posted about the products and never posted again, although herowena posted 6 weeks later on this same post about the extractigator (but never anywhere else on GW.) I'm always very skeptical of product recommendations on public forums. :) I've read a ton of info on the weed wrench (both here and elsewhere.) And rhodies post about using both products is *very* helpful, b/c most people don't get to use both. I'd like to hear a little more of the pros and cns of each from Rhodies. And I'm wondering about your (montesa's) experience with the extractigator vs the weed wrench. After reading the article that you linked to above, I really didn't see that either was preferred there.

I'm also a little torn for another reason that has nothing to do with which works better. The weed wrench was invented in 1988, and the extractigator was invented in 2000. The extractigator inventor claims that he was unaware of another tool when he created his tool. But he could be lying. I dunno. I don't want to reward someone for stealing someone else's work. Plus the weed wrench is made in the USA. Not that I have anything against Canada, b/c I don't. :)

Oh, yeah, and p.s. I did see some kind of a claw type tool on e-bay when I was looking to see if there were any weed wrenches on there, but it looks really small, and I kinda had to laugh b/c it says "guaranteed forever." I was like, yeah, right, I'll break that thing on day 1. It looks like it's for smaller weeds, not the "weed trees" I have here.

Here is a link that might be useful: e-bay weed tool

• montesa_vr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

windchime, I got to try my new Extractigator today for the very first time. It is everything the medium Weed Wrench should have been. As I said in January:

"There were three things I didn't like about the Weed Wrench. First, the jaws seemed to easily gum up with peeled bark and then wouldn't hold on the trunk of the trees, especially smaller ones. Second, I very frequently needed a board under the foot plate to keep the thing from sinking into the ground. But mainly, it just wasn't efficient enough. I wasted a lot of time trying to get the jaws snugged up on the trunks of the trees and keep them gripping while I started the pull."

The Extractigator design is different and it addresses these three concerns.

First, the jaw design holds the trunk better and doesn't gum up. It will never just peel the bark. The disadvantage is that if the roots are stronger than the the stem it will break the trunk off just above the ground in some cases. However, the gumming problem was really frustrating and I'm very happy that the Extractigator doesn't have it. Another benefit is that the Extratigator jaws will grip much smaller stems than the Weed Wrench. Huge advantage for the Extractigator.

Second, the design of the Extractigator uses two foot plates, so that as you rotate the handle toward the ground the second plate comes into play. That helps keep the whole thing from sinking into the ground. I expect I'll still need a board in some cases but I pulled several dozen trees today without needing it. Extractigator wins again, but I suspect there is no way to eliminate the need for a support board when pulling larger trees on soft ground.

Third, the Extractigator design makes grabbing the trees much quicker and more efficient than the Weed Wrench. The problem with the Weed Wrench design is that the jaws are joined by horizontal sliding channels, and to get them set on the trunk of a tree you have to step on one of the jaws and pull back on the handle. It's a time consuming hassle and I wore spots on my left boot in a couple of weeks of using the Weed Wrench. By contrast, the Extractigator has diagonal channels holding the jaws together, and gravity tightens them against the stem as you place it. Take my word for it, the difference is night and day. Using the Extractigator I could easily pull three to four times as many smaller (thumb sized) trees with the same amount of time and effort compared to the Weed Wrench.

As far as quality of materials, both the Extractigator and the Weed Wrench are very heavy duty and seem built for the long haul. I wish both companies would chrome plate their sliding surfaces, since there's no way they can hold paint.

Bottom line: Unless you are sure that almost all of the plants you want to pull are larger than 2-3" in diameter, you'll be happier with an Extractigator. It's a better design.

• windchime
    15 years ago

Okay, well I went ahead and ordered the extractigator based on reviews from people in this thread. I figured that buying the tool that works the best is the best bet. I measured one of the largest trees I need to pull, and it appears to be just a hair under 2 inches at a few inches up from the ground. I figure that if the jaws don't fit, I can probably put a couple of cinderblocks on the ground to bring the jaws up higher on the tree, where the diameter is slightly smaller. Now I cannot wait to get this thing!!

I wanted to share my check-out experience real quick with those who might find it useful. I was a little suprised that the extractigator is the same price as the medium weed wrench (which is exactly the same size, but a little heavier.) $154.99 vs $155. I thought that the extractigator might be a little pricier given the weak U.S. dollar (the extractigator is made in Canada.) I think the reason is that instead of raising the price on their website, they tack on a $10 handling charge at check-out, and this is *before* shipping is added. Not surprisingly, the shipping to NJ is more for the extractigator (BC, Canada) than the weed wrench (Oregon.) $38 vs $27. So total was $202.99. The extractigator cost me $21 more than the medium weed wrench. I think it's worth it to get a better tool. But I am a little disappointed that they hide the true price on the extractigator website. The weed wrench website does a good job of showing prices. They have a shipping chart right there on the main page, with different prices depending on your zip code (My zip is the second highest after HI and AK.) For the extractigator, I didn't find out the shipping cost, *or* about the additional $10 "handling" fee, until I was checking out. By that time, I had already decided which one I would purchase. No doubt this is done intentionally.

• montesa_vr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I would prefer that all merchants put all costs up front, but I buy a lot of stuff over the internet and I just assume that I don't have a comparable price until I am at the last stage of checkout and all shipping and handling fees are listed.

The one thing I didn't care for on my Extractigator purchase was the shipping process. UPS and FedEx allow you to track your package all the way to your door. With the Extractigator, the Canadian postal system hands the package off to the US Postal system, and once that handoff is done, so is your tracking.

Anyway, Windchime, I hope you have the opportunity to borrow a medium Weed Wrench some day so you can appreciate what you got for your extra $21.

• gnomeabram
    15 years ago

I recently purchased an Extractigator based on the reviews from this thread and I could not be happier with it. Over the past 8 years I've rid our 3 acre yard of mature buckthorn and honeysuckle, but the voids created have quickly filled with more buckthorn seedlings from the gazillions of dormant seeds. At first I was spraying them with Roundup, but that created too much collateral damage and usually didn't kill the target. I recently started digging them up with a shovel and brute strength, but end up with a sore back after a short time. The $197 price tag of the Extractigator quickly became more sensible as physical removal became the only logical option.

When it arrived on the 12th (Ordered on the 2nd, and shipped out the same day) we were in the middle of a record rainy period (11 inches of rain already this month) and I wasn't expecting the Extractigator to work well in the extremely soft soil. But I was pleasantly surprised that it was able to successfully pull out trees up to 1/2" diameter, which is the largest tree I've encountered so far. I did about 20 trees that day, and about 50 more today. I didn't even break a sweat. As it turns out, the most strenuous part is disposing of the uprooted trees. Most of the trees pull out on the first attempt, and maybe 10 so far needed the device to be repositioned to complete the removal because the root mat was so extensive. I sprinkle wildflower seeds in the disturbed soil of the removed tree, so hopefully something nice will take their place, or at least compete with the buckthorns that are yet to germinate. I have given up on the notion that I will ever completely eradicate buckthorn from the yard, but with the extractigator, the frustration has been reduced considerably!

Sometime this summer I hope to try it out on much larger trees on my grandparents' property. I'll report back with the results.

In short, I would not hesitate to recommend the Extractigator.

• trughbetold
    15 years ago

Definitely watch for posts suspect from exttractigator - herowena, gnomeabram to name a few. The pullerbear and the extractigator inventors are from the same small town in Canada so you decide who came first. The extractigator says he is a mechanical engineer and in fact he does not have a degree but only has a college certificate. So be wary about grandiose claims, even testimonials on his website are from relatives.

• maineman
    15 years ago

Hi all,

Based on favorable reviews of the Extractigator here, I ordered one, received it in a couple of weeks with no problems, and after using it for over a week, I can report that I am very happy with it.

I am clearing an area that has grown up in brambles (wild raspberries, or raspberries that have "gone wild") and my Extractigator has been very useful in pulling the ones that aren't easy to pull by hand, and in pulling various young "weed" trees. It seems to me that it lives up to its advertised claims, and I would definitely purchase it again.

MM

• masiman
    15 years ago

Just got back from 2 weeks up your MM. Love that place!

My first time to Acadia. We will definitely go there again next year, maybe even spend a night or two.

• montesa_vr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What do think Maineman? Are we pimps for a little company in British Columbia? You'd think the least they could have done is given us a discount on the shipping!

Too bad you don't live closer, so I could borrow your large Weed Wrench for some of the trees that are too big for my Extractigator. I've gone to cutting them off below ground with an axe and smearing a mix of old motor oil and Roundup on the bleeding stump.

Anyway, here's something completely new. It's a long bit for a cordless drill with a couple of teeth on the end to tear smaller plants out by the roots. Looks like a fast way to get rid of the little stuff.

Here is a link that might be useful: cordless drill weed puller video

• maineman
    15 years ago

The Ergonica Turbo Weed Twister looks like an effective tool. In the video, it cracked me up when the guy pulled out a remote control and "turned off" the video.

MM

• vanole
    15 years ago

I ordered a Pullerbear on 28 July and received it today. I just gave it a whirl on three small trees in my yard and all I can say is WOW! This tool works for me and is a keeper IMHO.

V/R
    Jeff

• rogersgeorge
    15 years ago

Well, after perusing this thread carefully, I ordered a pullerbear. It took rather longer to get to me in Delaware than I expected (about 3 weeks)but I wasn't in a hurry, and I suspect the post office for most of the delay. If it was delayed. I don't remember how long they said it would take. According to their emails, it left their place in a day or two. It came tightly packaged--if it had been a bathing suit, it would have left nothing to the imagination. Anyway, I was eager to try it. The ground was frozen, so I figured I wouldn't need the DIY plywood base extender, which they kindly provide information on. We had no snow on the ground, and the weather was pleasant, so I trotted out to the pasture for an experimental pull. Heh. I forgot that frozen ground also anchors roots quite well. I managed to bite off the sapling with no movement of the roots. Apparently you'll have to wait for spring for a full review.

Here is a link that might be useful: (my just-starting weed blog)

• rogersgeorge
    15 years ago

I can't figure out how to edit my posts, so here's a clarification--It was two weeks to the day that I waited for the tool. I suppose my Canadian friends might suppose I was referring to their post office, but provincial American that I am, I didn't specify which post office. I intended to blame our good old USPS for the delay. And some of my best friends are postmen!

• sundazes
    14 years ago

Ok, so now i am confused. I have a 75 foot long line of very old privet. Which tool do you guys think would do the best job to remove it. Privet has a very deep tap root. Last year, I dug out a 50 foot line of it and it was a major pain in the arse. it took several weekends and lots of pain killers. I also have numerous old azaleas that need to go. I am leaning towards the puller bear due to price. Any suggestions??

• rogersgeorge
    14 years ago

Last Feb I posted about receiving my Pullerbear, and the ground being too frozen to work. That has changed; here's my story.
    My neighbor had occasion to use it before I did, and the weld broke! He said the misadventure laid him on the ground. He's a big guy, so I imagine he was putting a lot of pressure on the tool. I called Pullerbear, and the fellow said they had a run of bad welds, and I must have gotten one of those; get it fixed and send him the bill, he'd refund my expense. As it happened, The fellow who re-welded it wouldn't charge me, so Pullerbear and I both got the job done for free.

I've had several occasions to use the device. It works! I've learned not to put my leg directly under the bar in case the sapling breaks off and the handle makes a speedy descent to the ground, which happens sometimes. I'd say the need for a board under the base is pretty much mandatory. I use an old piece of oak 2ÃÂ12, not attached to the tool. Keeps it from burying itself in the ground. I wish the tool had a little prong or something at the base that I could push with my foot to hold the jaw open while I shove it against the sapling. Pushing on the base with my foot kind of works.

Do I like it? Yup. Does it work? yup. I wish the handle were a bit longer. How are the people who make it? Seem to be great folks. Would I get another one? Well, I can't use two at once, and this one is likely to last a looong time.

• montesa_vr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

rogersgeorge, thanks for the Pullerbear review. It sounds like the Pullerbear suffers from the same two dislikes I had about the Weedwrench: sinking into the ground and too fussy about getting the jaws wrapped around the trunk. I'm glad I bought an Extractigator. It would be great if some day we could get all three tools side by side for a comparison on the same plants and soil.

• rhodies_bellsouth_net
    12 years ago

After using extensively with rhododendron & magnolia society members, master gardeners, and friends the Weed Wrench, Puller Bear, and Extractigator tools we all prefer the convenience of the Extractigator's automatically opening "jaw" and extended foot so to not needing supporting boards for plant removal as was needed by the other tools. Also a nice touch is the new "big foot" extension accessory which has been wonderful while working on creek banks and other soft soil situations.

• zen_man
    11 years ago

I used to own the large Weed Wrench and now use an Extractigator, and I agree with your findings. Even the Extractigator will sometimes cut off a smaller sapling, so I place a pad like an old sock over its jaws to lessen its tendency to cut. I am sorry that I let my big Weed Wrench go, but when we moved from Maine to Kansas I had no idea that I would still be pulling weed trees. Boy, was I wrong about that!

ZM (formerly MaineMan)

• twopecker
    11 years ago

So I am the forum lurker that montesa_vr mentioned above. We emailed back and forth a couple times after I ordered the PullerBear. Here is what my email to him after receiving and trying it out:

My first impressions of the PullerBear are not that favorable. It came packaged is heavy duty plastic wrap, so of course all of the edges/corners were dinged/chipped. I suppose this shouldnt be too big of an issue given the use of the tool, but I generally keep all of my tools in very nice shape, so disappointing to see it arrive less than very nice. The paint on it is atrocious, very uneven and nothing at all like the pictures. The paint seems to have still been wet when wrapped to, because the plastic wrap was stuck to the paint and some paint chipped off during unpackaging. The smell of wet paint was also over powering, but after a night in the garage, that is gone and it no longer feels tacky. The "grip" they mention on their website is just black paint w/ some grit in it...truly awful.

I just got done pulling probably 40 or so saplings. There is definitely a sweet spot of about 1" where it really shines. Less than that, it more tears than pulls and when you start to get much larger than that, there is not enough leverage. And speaking of, there seems to be an area of improvement for leverage. Unless you're clamping down on a large tree (say 2"+ ), you start w/ the handle at about a 60 degree angle already, so you dont have a full stroke down to the ground to really yank the tree out.

I just moved here from VT and we used an OLD weed wrench to clear mountain bike trails there. I recall it being considerably easier to use, but of course there were a lot of different variables. Overall on it's own, I would probably give the PullerBear 2 or 3 out of 5 stars. I would say a 3 because it does work to get saplings out, but there is definitely room for improvement. I would possibly bump it down to a 2 just because of fit, finish and packaging (to me, that shows lack of price in product).

• twopecker
    11 years ago

As for the comparison, I think montesa_vr's assessment was pretty fair. A couple of additional thoughts to add to his:

I really want to stress the weakness of the jaw mechanism of the PullerBear compared to the extractigator. It was so much easier to use the extractigator. Also, the PullerBear definitely did sink into the dirt considerably more. I did not add the additional wood "foot" to the PullerBear because that would not be an apples to apples comparison. I think the fact that PullerBear has that for an option shows that is it almost needed and I think this is something they should address at the factory.

A couple of pros for the PullerBear...price and larger saplings. It is a considerably cheaper tool, so worth mentioning. Also, I thought for my specific application of pulling dozens of 1-2" saplings, the PullerBear excelled. It really is the sweet spot for the tool. I did not have a good way to compare if the Extractigator would do just as well, but based on the words from montesa_vr, I would assume so.

My bottom line: If you have a one time job where you need to clear out some land full of good sized saplings, I think the Pullerbear is the tool for you. It will do the job well at a great price. If you need a tool to use regularly on all sorts of plants, I would go w/ the Extractigator. It is absolutely the more flexible tool and way more user friendly. I'm not necessarily unhappily with the PullerBear, but if I were to do it over, I would go with the Extractigator.

• johnschw
    11 years ago

I have been trying to get rid of buckthorn for a couple of years now. So far, I have been cutting it off at ground level, but it has a tendency to regrow. I really do not want to use a herbicide, so the best way would be to pull the whole tree.

I have been reading the posts here, and it looks like the Weed Wrench and the Extractigator tools would be the most likely choices. It appears that the Extactigator may have a slight advantage with the jaw design (less gumming up) and with the optional pad, it will not sink into the ground as much.

It appears that the last post was several months ago, so I was wondering if anyone has had any additional experience with either tool? I would like to get one ordered so I have it for whenever Spring gets here.

• DCM1519
    11 years ago

When I made that post about using a long chain to pull stumps, I forgot to mention that I put a heavy blanket on the chain in case something comes loose. The few times that has happened, the blanket stops the chain from hitting the rear of my truck. I hope it continues to work and I don't end up with a big dent.

• montesa_vr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

johnschw, my first experience with a Weedwrench was pulling buckthorn, because one of the local state parks will loan the tool to anyone who volunteers to pull buckthorn in the park. I strongly recommend you choose the Extractigator for buckthorn.

DCM, the use of a heavy blanket or tarp on a winch or pull cable or rope is best practice, and will usually prevent a remodeled tail gate. I didn't know any better back when I had my bad experience. Thanks for the tip.

• johnschw
    10 years ago

Based on the comments here, I ordered an Extractigator. It arrived in the first week of April, but the ground was still frozen, so I could not try it out. As soon as it looked like the ground was thawed, we got more snow! This happened 3 more times. I finally got to try it last week, and it really works great! The buckthorn has fairly shallow roots, so I was able to pull them quite easily. The honeysuckle has a tap root, so they are a little more difficult. Trees up to about 1 1/2 inches pull good, but I am still reluctant to put too much pressure on it to pull the 2 inch ones. Also, I did find that it is best to not stand in front and pull toward yourself in case the tree breaks off (it can hurt). Overall, I am quite pleased with the tool.

• zen_man
    10 years ago

John,

" Also, I did find that it is best to not stand in front and pull toward yourself in case the tree breaks off (it can hurt)."

Ideally, I think you are supposed to stand by the tree and push the tool. You are supposed to use your weight to push down on the lever. The lever looks like it is a lot stronger than it needs to be.

ZM

• LDLemon
    10 years ago

I would not recommend anyone buy a Pullerbear.

AFTER I purchased a Pullerbear, I received a E-Mail thanking me for my purchase and stating in all caps that âÂÂBENDING ANY PART OF A PULLERBEAR IS NOT COVERED BY THIS WARRANTY. IF YOU THINK YOU CAN BEND OR BREAK ANY PART OF A PULLERBEAR - PLEASE DON'T BUY ONE!â However, the Pullerbear homepage states that they have a âÂÂLifetime Structural Warrantyâ and on there FAQ page they states that they âÂÂwelcome the return of any Pullerbear that is defective or fails to do what we claim it will doâÂÂ.

With the jaw wide open I estimated that I bent the jaw with only about 150 pounds of downward pressure.

My experience with the company is that they do not stand behind what they sell. I cannot get a RMA or even parts.

Also concur with many of the comments above that the Pullerbear with shear off and not pull most small trees.

DO NOT believe positive comments about the Pullerbear. The editors of Garden Watchdog (Dave's Garden) moved a positive feedback on there site to a neutral one because of their policy that a company may not pose as their own customers in order to leave feedback.

• mamasnail
    10 years ago

I am mainly working at removing Redbud Saplings, Ash, and Bush Honeysuckle. We have lived on 3/4 acre for 40+ years and I planted the entire 1/4 acre front yard in trees. No mowing now, just shade plants and natives but above critters are getting ahead of me. Thanks for the heads up about Buckthorn which I was just getting ready to plant in the yard. They are a native variety and provided by our Conservation department but I will put them on the eroding creekbank in our park. I am female, 66 and 5'3". I hope to get one of the tools mentioned in this thread but here is what I have been doing for the past few years which might work well for homeowners or one time jobs. I have an electric chainsaw which I use to cut bigger trees but my main weapon of choice is a SawsAll type saw outfitted with special "pruning saw" blades. Unless rocks are a problem, I just point this puppy right down in the ground and saw a circle around the tree to cut the side roots loose. If I can figure out a way to yank out the tree from there I do so. Failing that I dig the dirt away and cut the stump off flush below the ground level. I then pour a cap full of copper sulfate on the 1-2" stump and cover it with a metal soup or juice can which I push down into the ground. I then throw a few handsful of mulch or woodchips on top to cover the can. Redbuds are very stubborn and sometimes require a second application the following year and policing to be sure the side roots aren't coming up. Everything else pretty much gives up the ghost. Sometimes I reuse the cans in a different spot and sometimes they just rust away.

• FinalFencing
    10 years ago

Have you thought of a post puller or a farm jack?

Aldershot Farnham Fencing Contractor

www.finalfencing.co.uk

• rbpais
    10 years ago

This is in response to LDLemon AKA Larry Lemon of Conway, AR. If you are a vendor of any kind and Lemon wants to be your customer...don't do it. There is no way someone of his physicality (these are his words in from an email that he sent us... " IâÂÂm 62 years old, weight 190 lbs, and recently retired from an office job. I did not put my full weight on the Pullerbear and I bent it.") would be able to bend the 1" square tubular jaw made of grade A U.S. steel. The part he bent was only 6" long He abused the tool and even though we don't warranty bending or abuse, we offered Lemon a full refund. He didn't return it, instead he chose to continue to use it to complete his pulling project and then he wanted to return it over a month later. We have experienced this scam before and therefore told Lemon the offer to refund him was revoked. Lemon now has a mission to harm our reputation and it is incumbent upon us to address the lies that he continues to spread on any gardening site that will host his imbecilic rants. I am the owner of the Pullerbear company and we've sold over 10,000 Pullerbears and not one has ever been returned to us. Not one! We're turning this Lemon into lemonade by warning other vendors to avoid this clown who will use your product until the job is done and then return it once he no longer has any use for it. He tried to extort a refund from us by threatening to post negative comments about our product. We said go ahead and we will address his B.S. when we find it and we found this page...that's why you're reading this now. Sorry for wasting your time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pullerbear

This post was edited by rbpais on Tue, Dec 10, 13 at 11:50

• kerrioz
    9 years ago

Hi. After following this thread I became convinced that I need to purchase an Extractigator to remove heavily infested areas of blackberry. Imagine my disappointment when I discovered that owing to my location, Australia, I can only purchase the Extractigator Junior, and that at a hefty $90 postage. Has anyone had any experience with the Junior? I don't mind the cost of postage (as we come to expect this in Australia) but don't want to waste my money on a less than useful product.

Your thoughts on this will be much appreciated

• frankb_c
    9 years ago

In my Stump removal search I found this site at the price is Cdn.
    two ideas, one for stump removal and the other for small tree pulling.

http://vispieux.com/vispieux-tools/Smartpuller.html
    and there main site (Bilingual).

http://vispieux.com/Vispieux/Bienvenu___Welcome.html

• KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
    8 years ago

I'm happy to report that I just ordered an Extractigator with the Bigfoot attachment and it cost me less than $167 including shipping to the US. The exchange rate between the Canadian dollar and the US dollar has really fluctuated during the life of this thread with the best exchange rate for US residents happening two months ago. Worst was late 2007 and mid-2011.

7 years ago

Started using my new Extractigator this past weekend. It is wonderful. Have pulled up lots of trees and a couple Japanese honeysuckles. One issue I've had is with trees that I've cut to the ground in the past. The Extractigator snaps them off because the roots are stronger than what I'm pulling on. If I'd only known then what I know now.

Had one tree I could not budge. Was a sweetgum, maybe about 2" in diameter. Tried yanking on it from multiple directions but nothing. Ended up using an ax.

The Bigfoot attachment was necessary. I started using the Extractigator without it. That worked until I got to some tougher trees and the Extractigator was sinking into the ground. Bigfoot solved that problem.

3 years ago

A neighbor had my Extractigator all winter. Time to pull trees was coming so I bought a PullerBear Pro XL321. I remember reading a long review (no longer available) where the writer said the two products complement each other but if you can buy only one, get the Extractigator, which I did four years ago. Now I have both.

Biggest plus for the PullerBear is grabbing the tree closer to the ground. I have pulled up a number of trees that my Extractigator snapped off in previous years and would have snapped again.

Another plus is also a minus. XL321 has a long handle. Gives me more leverage for bigger trees. Unfortunately, the main thing I want the PullerBear for is to pull trees the Extractigator would probably snap. I don’t need a really long handle for that. And yesterday, that long handle was a big problem in a tight spot. Was no way to I pull the handle because of a low branch in my way. Extractigator to the rescue until the tree snapped.

Now for PullerBear downsides. PullerBear sorta makes fun of the Extractigator’s Bigfoot option. Why spend $20 for a Bigfoot when you can just make one for free with a scrap piece of wood and attach it to your PullerBear? Well, my PullerBear was not doing much because it was just sinking in the mud so I needed a bigger base. Found out I did not have the necessary scrap piece of wood laying around. Went to Lowes and Home Depot to find a scrap piece of wood. Scrap piece of wood lasted for less than two days. I’d much rather spend $20 on a piece of metal that lasts.

While pulling trees, the PullerBear quit working. It was basically just scraping off bark. Happened over and over. Finally figured out that mud was inside the jaws but not visible because it was thinner than the tooth depth. Not a huge deal but not a problem I’ve ever had with my Extractigator.

In the review that said the two tools complemented each other, the reviewer said the Extractigator was faster to use. He was RIGHT. Getting the PullerBear jaws on the tree can be a pain. You pull up on the handle to get it in the right position and the jaws shut so you put the whole thing down again and kick the tool into the right position. Or you lean over a lot and move it with your other hand. Either way, it is time consuming.

The PullerBear requires a more downward angle on the handle when getting the tool on the tree. PullerBear touts this as a good thing because you get more handle travel when pulling. I found it to be a detriment because there were trees I could not use the PullerBear on because other trees were too close for the handle.

Wish I had bought the PullerBear Cub XL. The main reason I wanted the PullerBear was pulling small trees the Extractigator would snap. The Cub XL would do that and have a handle 17” shorter than the Pro XL321. Plus, it was $45 cheaper.

Now back to Home Depot for more scrap wood. :(

• Georgia Parkinson Hill
    2 years ago

Do not buy from Pullerbear. Worst customer service experience ever. I bought a tool that should work for sizes up to 3” but it only worked on 1”. I contacted the owner who was completely unprofessional and rude about it. People don’t return them because the shipping cost is outrageous for something so heavy, and because who knows if they’d actually get their money back after such a horrible response from them.

• montesa_vr
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I have the Extractigator but I have used all three. Pullerbear is the weakest.

• zen_man
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Hi all,

I decided and settled on the Extractigator design a few years ago, and I have since purchased all of them. The Canadians have done us all a good service by providing credible competition in this sort of tool. The Elm trees in this rural area of Kansas have produced weed trees in abundance with their wind-blown seeds, so surprisingly I have ample need for Extractigators in Kansas. I use the little Junior version to pull big weeds. I have the big foot accessory on all of my Extractigators, including the little Junior.

ZM (not associated with Extractigator)

• AL X
    2 years ago

I just ordered an Extractigator and haven't received it yet but I'm heartened by the good press it's getting here. I'm buying it to replace a Puller Bear that I never found very satisfactory and which now has a bent jaw from my attempts at pulling a redbud sapling. As many have commented here, the Puller Bear has a tendency to shred saplings and break them off at the base. At least that has been my experience with it more times than not. I live under a shade canopy that consists largely of oaks, hickories, walnuts and tulip poplars but which also is being invaded by redbuds and honeysuckles, burning bush and other undesirable non-native species. Also, the large amount of nuts deposited by oaks and other trees into my flowerbeds and shrubbery make it necessary to have a reliable sapling removal tool. I'll report back on the Extractigator's performance once it arrives.

• AL X
    last year
    last modified: last year

Well I'm happy to report that I took delivery of my Extractigator and that even without the Bigfoot attachment (which will be arriving separately) it outperforms my expectations. Unlike the Puller Bear it replaces, it pulls the saplings out roots and all the majority of the time. I had only a few break off at the base and I'll get those another time when they've grown back a bit. But the Extractigator helped me finish off jobs I'd started where the Puller Bear had failed, particularly unearthing networks of redbud roots causing havoc in my flowerbeds. With patience, this tool can extract lenghthy redbud roots like nothing else I've seen. My new favorite tool.

last year

Just found another tool for doing this job. It is called the Brushbar and it is an A.M. Leonard product. Instead of grabbing, it is more of a modified pry bar. I already have Extractigator and Pullerbear so I don't plan on buying a Brushbar but it looks useful.

https://www.amleo.com/brushbar-invasive-brush-removal-tool-and-pry-bar/p/BRUSHBAR

• zen_man
    last year

Hi KC,

Thanks for the link to the video. A.M. Leonard is a good company. I have purchased several things from them. The Brushbar looks interesting, but like you, I don't plan to purchase one. The work scene in the video would be improved by the presence of an Extractigator Big Daddy

In the video, they were having to do quite a bit of manual work, in addition to the using the Brushbar, and in my opinion, a Big Daddy Extractigator could have helped on that work scene.

I think the current Extractigator tools could be improved. For one thing, the Extractigator people should learn to work with Titanium. I know, Titanium requires different welding equipment and somewhat different tools and techniques and costs more, but it can have strength competitive with steel at a considerable weight savings. And Titanium won't rust. All four of my Extractigators would be easier to use if they were considerably lighter in weight. And substituting Titanium for Steel would achieve that. The Titanium Extractigators would cost more, but they would be worth it to anyone who uses the tools a lot. And with Elm seedlings growing everywhere in various stages, I have a lot of "extractigating" to do. Think Titanium, Canada. Reinvent your Extractigators. There are people like myself who would be totally glad to pay more for refined versions of your tools.

ZM

• montesa_vr
    Original Author
    last year

Very interesting. I think I would have many uses for that besides removing shrubs.

Sponsored
WM Design Studio, LLC.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Loudoun County's Skilled Residential Architect | 4X Best of Houzz!