Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who makes Deere 'Pro-Series' Trimmers?

Posted by fcarp63 CT (My Page) on
Sat, May 2, 09 at 22:46

Hi:

Does anyone know who makes these split-boom trimmers? They are made in Japan, as are all of the attachments that go with them.

I was told the engines are made by Mitsubishi. Who makes the rest of the unit and the attachments?

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who makes Deere 'Pro-Series' Trimmers?

• Posted by canguy British Columbia (My Page) on
    Sat, May 2, 09 at 23:52

The p/n's in the website IPL are Homelite.

Here is a link that might be useful: John Deere trimmer

o

Homelite did/has a manufacturing plant in Japan? Agreed the part number prefix "UT" is shared with old/new Homelite equipment.

I just purchased one of these trimmers. The box (and the unit) says 'Made in Japan". All of the boxes for the attachments (and the attachments themselves) say "Made in Japan", except for the edger (made in the USA).

o

I was told their trimmers are Kawasaki. The big blower use the Kawasaki TK65 engine which is used in the Kawasaki KRB750 and Maruyama BL8100. I did the research on the bp myself.

I was told Maruyama made trimmers for them long time ago.

o

Thanks. Went to the Kawasaki website and their trimmers look exactly like the unit I have.

o

It is supposed to be a good trimmer. I read a lot of possitive reviews on both the Kawi string and hedge trimmers. They cost a lot less than the others also. It has a 26cc engine which is very big for trimmers and still weight lighter than most of the smaller trimmers.

o

I just picked up one off of Ebay last week - package deal from a Deere dealer. Model XT140SBLE 26cc split boom with trimmer, cultivator, articulating hedge trimmer, pole saw, and edger - all for $499. NIB with receipt, warranty, etc.

While I haven't had a chance to run it yet I am impressed with the unit. Obviously a good deal - I believe Deere is either reducing their handheld lineup or eliminating it altogether. Dealer claims they bought all of the remaining inventory from Deere.

o

Exactly what I was ranting in the other post regarding bad dealer. Kawasaki/JD are a lot lower price and I read nothing but praise on Kawasaki. In fact I read Kawi is very popular in europe. Price has a lot to do with popularity. In my area, Stihl is not popular at all. I can get great deal with Stihl. BR600 for $379 at one time. FS100 for $249, BR550 for $299!!!! Always have sales.

The JD biggest bp use the same engine as Kawasaki KRB750/Maru BL8100. I am not check whether it is exactly same model but they all use the Kawi TK65 engine which is used in other brand of bp also.

I really think the quality of all top commercial brands are pretty much the same. For 30% to 40% less, I would take my chance.

There is also Tanaka and Maruyama, they are very good price too.

o

fcarp63,

Who on eBay did you get that deal from? Sounds pretty good to me.

Thanks!

o

ensign:

Google "jdgreensells ebay" and you will find their ebay store. It is a Deere dealer in Michigan.

They have a different package this month without the split-boom trimmer. If you're interested in the split-boom, just call them and ask for Lonnie in sales - that's who I dealt with.

o

I just came across this thread and found it really interesting that the JD trimmers were made for them by Kawasaki. I lived in Hawaii where I bought two Marunaka trimmers (the brand was very popular there) that use Kawasaki engines and cannot find that brand anywhere here in case I ever need parts. Now I guess I can check with my JD dealer! Incidentally, one of those trimmers is 21 years old and the other is 14 and I've never done anything other than change filters and spark plugs and grease the power head. These had heavy weekly use in Hawaii because I had a large, steep hillside that I could only cut with a line trimmer.

I was at my JD dealer yesterday looking at an edger attachment for a Stihl trimmer, which they now carry as of a couple of weeks ago. They told me that JD is getting out of the handheld equipment business and made a deal with Stihl so they could sell Stihl equipment at JD dealerships. So I asked if that meant that I could go down the street to the local Stihl dealer and buy a John Deere and they laughingly said "No Way!"

o

Buy Kawasaki trimmers, hedge trimmers and blowers!!! They are very good and is a lot cheaper. Also Maruyama. Their blowers are exactly the same as Kawasaki. You can mail order on ebay, brand new for a lot cheaper and take your chance. You are talking about $239 for KGT27!!!! How often they break?!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here