Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Key Start Gas Weed Eater

Posted by daylilylaura_2008 GA (My Page) on
Sun, May 18, 08 at 22:47

Is there such a thing as a key start, gas weed eater? I'm not a wimp, but I just can't pull cords and get those things to start. Does anyone know of a brand for this? I guess my next option is an easy-start one, recommendations welcome. It has to be gas, not electric, too much territory to cover. I have a lot of areas that are unreachable with a mower but need cutting regularly. Thanks much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Key Start Gas Weed Eater

I seen a homelite model about 12 years ago. But, haven't seen any since.

o

I saw one at Home depot on the endcap this weekend.
It is pretty heavy though...

o

I would have to say that the solution to your problem is not to find an electric start trimmer. I have always found that if a person is strong enough to pick one up, they are more than strong enough to pull start the machine providing it is in good working order and well maintained. I say start fresh with a good quality new machine, and keep the servicing up to date and you will have no problem. Good luck.

o

I should have added with my first response but i have an echo trimmer where you can pull the cord as slow as u want. As you pull it winds up a spring or something and when the pull cord reaches a certain tension, the spring kicks in and then spins the motor.

If echo still sells this, maybe you might look for this feature. It makes the trimmer lighter than what i saw at the store.

o

If you aren't apposed to Craftsman, they have what is called Sim-pull. Essentially the same as the 0utsider has on his echo. Several other manufacturers have this also. It makes it unbelievably easy to start your trimmer or other 2 cycle engine. You don't have to yank the cord, just pull it and it does the work for you.

o

Tanaka made an electric start gas powered trimmer.

o

The Ryobi electric start at Home Depot weighs 15 lbs without battery, compared to an Echo lightweight at about 10 lbs. While I suppose most of the added weight is at the top of the electric start and easier to handle, the 15# plus battery would get difficult near the end of your journey. Echo's GT-200i advertised at about 10 lbs and 75% easier to start. Stihl's trimmers show two-finger start and are about the same weight.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here