Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Troy Bilt tiller identification

Posted by golden-vocal (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 24, 10 at 1:49

I'm wondering if someone can tell me the model, etc, of our trusty old Troy Bilt tiller, so I can order the correct belt and clutch spring.

I think I once saw one that looked the same in the literature as a "Professional" model. 8 hp Kohler, with bumper-cage around the front - electric start - 2 speed.

The serial number is difficult at best to read, but I think
7709 61 The second 7 MAY be a 2, but I don't think so, and the last numeral is dang near a wild guess, as only the bottom half seems stamped.

Anyway, any help much appreciated!
Joe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Troy Bilt tiller identification

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 25, 10 at 11:17

Does it have a lever on the left for the PTO?

o

Yes, PTO in/out is a little slider lever on the left side of the transmission. Has double belt pulleys for 2 different speeds, besides the trans 2 speed.
the Kohler is a blocky looking thing, fuel tank squarish-built-in on left side, air cleaner blockish on the right - much different looking than most engines I see on Troy Bilts...

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 26, 10 at 6:37

It's the same model as mine. It was introduced in the early 80s. Mine is '83. It was a PTO Horse model and that's about all you have to know for parts. In '83, they offered the 6HP cast iron Tecumseh, which I have, and a 7HP Kohler, and an 8HP Briggs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here