Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
chainsaw oiler

Posted by phil43_2010 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 10, 10 at 4:34

I noticed that my chain on my Husqvarna seemed dry, with no oil. I took the bar and chain off, and ran the saw for about 30 seconds, and saw no oil coming out of the oiler hole. Is this a proper way to test for oiling? The hole appears clear, and plenty of oil in the oil resevoir. Any comments or suggestions? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: chainsaw oiler

I will be interested in the answers that you get. I have an old WEN electric that has the same problem. The strange thing is that I can't even find the hole that the oil is supposed to come out. I wrote to them but never got an answer.

o
RE: chainsaw oiler

I am not sure how the oiler on Husky is set up. I assume it won't pump until the clutch engages. Did you throttle the saw when you ran it on your 30 second test?

The oil pump usually sits underneath the clutch. You might be able to see some sort of engagement mechanism. If you can pop the clutch (reverse threaded), you can turn that mechanism by hand. It might give you access to the tubing that the oil comes out of. You can check that the tube is clear. You may have a filter in the oil tank that you should check.

Take pictures as you go if you are not sure about reassembly. I always do in case I have any questions about putting it back together.

I usually check for oil by running the saw near full throttle with the nose a few inches over something (clear piece of wood, paper, etc.). The saw should throw a line of oil within 5 seconds. This shows that you are at least getting oil to the bar in somewhat sufficient quantities. The chain should definitely not be dry after doing this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here