Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cordless Trimmer Recommendations: Black and Decker v. Ryobi?

Posted by decornovice (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 30, 11 at 5:01

Hi. I'm new to gardenweb but have lurked for awhile in the home forums. I am not a gardener and have had basic lawn maintenance done for me over the years because I don't have the proper tools. I'm lurking to learn and gain confidence ! Presently, I am looking to get a weed whacker and would like it to be lightweight and reliable. Worx gt hasn't gotten favorable reviews on this site. I am looking to purchase a reasonably priced cordless model. Also, I'm wondering whether ryobi or black and decker is a more reliable garden tool brand, generally. (Which brand would be a better overall investment for "sharing" capabilities down the road) As for this purchase, I am looking at the 18v lithium trimmer/edgers: black and decker LST 1018 and the 18v. lithium ryobi. I like the idea that the ryobi has a battery that is interchangeable w/ other ryobi tools for possible future purchases. (Black and Decker has that for their NiCad cordless equipment, but I don't see that for LITHIUM tools.) However,some reviewers have complained that the trigger/start mechanism on the ryobi has a trigger lock which kicks in whenever the machine is stopped in progress and it becomes annoying while trimming? Any suggestions would be welcomed ! Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cordless Trimmer Recommendations: Black and Decker v. Ryobi?

Even if the power cord, 100 to 200 feet is a PITA, the electric trimmer is by far the easiest and most effective to use...5 to 10 dollars at your local auction; the TORO is finally shot, the B & D is still good. Batteries are convenient, true, but do not last...and they are very expensive..
If your yard is small, really small, then why not do it by hand ???
Its good exercise..

o
RE: Cordless Trimmer Recommendations: Black and Decker v. Ryobi?

You make a good point about the cost of batteries w/ the cordless. I was aware of the short battery life, but was advised that they recharge quickly. Replacements could get costly though! I'll take your post as a vote of confidence in B&D, as a reliable brand. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here