Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pulley ratio formula

Posted by digginlight z5 va (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 14, 08 at 7:30

I remember only that it's not rocket science - but I can't remember exactly what the proceedure is - "senior moment", I guess.

How _do_ I figure speed reduction offered by different sized pulleys..?

_ThanX_ in advance..!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pulley ratio formula

Drive pulley diameter / driven pulley diameter * input RPM = OUTPUT RPM

o

Just the diameters, eh.? - not the circumferences. Well that makes the figuring lots easier.

ThanX

o

Circumference is a direct ratio to diameter, so either will work. C=D*PI.

o

Does lonewoof's short little formula above imply the diameter at the outside of the belt.? the inside..? the middle of the belt..?

Or does it make no difference..?

ThanX again.

o

As long as your measurments of the pulleys are consistent it makes no difference (measure both outside diameters).

o

how do i find the ratios of multipule pulleys for example a 24in pulley driving a 12in pulley that is driving a 2in pulley

o

Look up rpm calculators online such as the one on the link below and plug in the values and hit calculate.

Here is a link that might be useful: rpm calculator

o

Does lonewoof's short little formula above imply the diameter at the outside of the belt.? the inside..? the middle of the belt..? Or does it make no difference..?

Actually it refers to the diametrical pitch of the pulleys.
Diametrical pitch is usually a term used in gear measurements. But the same principles are also applied to pulleys. The measurement is where the center of the belt contacts both sides of the V on the pulley. Also known as the pitch diameter of the pulley.

Pooh Bear

Here is a link that might be useful: Diametrical Pitch - Wikipedia

o

I have packaged the RPM/Pulley Calculator into a desktop application if anyone is interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Download RPM Calculator

o

A little off subject, but I was raised in a self sufficient heavy equipment shop, then went on to 35-40 years of welding and pipefitting and there are very few mathematical calculations I can't make! I hope to make your posters aware of the non-education your kids are getting in American schools that are dominated by the 'progressive' Department of Education, get informed ,the only thing your kids are being taught is 'progressive ideology', get involved to stop the ideologically 'dumbing down' of our kids!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.bing.com

o

I've been teaching math, physics, and computer science at the University for 20+years. The percentage of students earning Top grades vs failing grades has not changed since our current methods of teaching has come into being. Don't listen to those who say we're loosing our younger generation: they are just as sharp and driven as we were at their age.

o

% of students earning top grades is the same.
% deserving top grades????????

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here