Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rjsfishin

Starter Rope replacement.....Troy-built Weed Eater

rjsfishin
14 years ago

I am trying to replace the starter rope on this Troybuilt weed eater, and the next step is to remove the centrifugal clutch from the crankshaft.

My question is,..........

How do I hold the crankshaft while trying to loosen the clutch, so I can spin it off the crankshaft ?

I really hesitate to try to jam the piston thru the spark plug hole:(

Thanks for any help.

Comments (18)

• canguy
    14 years ago

Tie a knot in a short length of sash cord or something similar and feed it into the spark plug hole. Rotate the crankshaft until the piston stops, you won't hurt anything. Be careful not to get the cord trapped in a port.

• masiman
    14 years ago

+1 to canguys technique. To ensure you dont get the rope into a port, make sure your piston is on the upstroke and beyond the ports when you put the rope in. Your clutch is reverse threaded (clockwise to loosen), or at least I am pretty sure it is on weedeaters.

They do sell piston stops but they have been known to occasionally damage pistons and/or cyclinders. Some swear by impact wrenches to get clutches off.

• yungman
    14 years ago

This really make the case of spending a little more to get the home owner grade of the commercial brand. It would be so much easier if it is a full crank.

I have a TroyBilt 4 cycle. I have no problem with it but the shaft is too short which hurt my back using it. Also the tap advance head is bad!!! And the worst is that it almost cost just as much as Echo SRM211, Husky 125. Even more than the Echo GT200.

If you have not bought all the parts, consider buying a new one. My Honda is so much more comfortable and the head is sooooooo much better. I am sure if you get SHindaiwa home pro with speed feed head, it is much lighter, head is sooooo much easier to use. Take good care of it, chances is this will be the last trimmer you are going to buy.

• rjsfishin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for that info.
    Tho scary, I don't see any other way. Impact wrench would be great, except there ain't nothin to connect the impact wrench.....or socket to. I'll give the rope/knot a try. I just hope the clutch isn't real tight.

Rich

• masiman
    14 years ago

I am pretty sure you'll need some sort of tool to get that clutch off. The only small engine clutch's I have looked at/removed are on my chainsaws. I am making assumptions that it will not be too different on a weedeater (I have not needed to pop the cover on my weedeater yet).

If the clutch is similar then there will be arms on the clutch that can move in and out from the center. They will be held toward the center with springs that are attached between the arms. The clutch tools will look like a socket with prongs. They go over the shaft and the prongs get locked in by the those arms. With the piston blocked, you can turn clocwise and take the clutch off. You won't have to worry about getting the clutch on supertight because it will self tighten when the engine runs. Don't use that as an excuse to barely put it on though, snug it down at least.

I made my own clutch removal tool. I bought a 19mm socket and marked where the arms are on the socket. I ground the parts away to fit. The socket still works as a 19mm even with the material ground away. Here is a similar homemade clutch tool

Yungman, I don't know why he would buy a new trimmer if the only problem is a worn starter rope. It sounds like you know this model so you may know more than me.

• yungman
    14 years ago

No I don't know his particular model. Just a general comment. I just found my Troybilt not a very good trimmer overall and I won't go out of my way to fix it because it is not an easy fix. His sounded like only a 2 cycle, which is relatively cheap ( $120). Buying the part can be expensive. I replaced the head assembly once and cost over $20. Just a comment.

My trimmer never have problem but there is a thread in lawn cafe talking about repair people don't want to service TroyBilt trimmer because they have problems.

I took out the flywheel on an Echo SRM260 before, it was very tight. Have to put engine on the vise and really crank. You still have to worry about the position later on to get the timing right.

• rjsfishin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This is a heavy duty Troybuilt Model TB90 BC (brush cutter)
    Sells for $169 at Northern Tool. See link.I think it is worth fixing,........if I don't ruin it fixin it :)

I'm starting to like the homade impact tool idea. I can do that.
    Thanks for all comments

Rich

Here is a link that might be useful: Troy built Weedeater

• yungman
    14 years ago

I see, my mistake, You are not going to get a brush cutter under $300!!! So Fix it is.

• mtcoop
    12 years ago

I have a 2-stroke Troy-Bilt trimmer and have a broken starter cord. I have broken it down to the spring clutch and said, "I give up." I have replaced a cord on my push mower without much trouble (2 hours max). I would not ever buy a TROY BILT anything, EVER, again!!!. It seemed to be fairly well made but the cord was not ergonomically correct. Every start you made was all the way to a "hard stop."

I am throwing the junk in the trash and calling the 2 year old machine a piece of *&>!. Anyone that would upgrade to anything from this manufacturer is a glutton for punishment. A friend of mine owns a lawn care buisness and gets the cheapest trimmer he can find and throws them away when they break (approx. 1 year for commercial use).

My dad has always been satisfied with the small cheaper models and that seems the best way to go. If the manufacturers won't produce them to be repaired then buy the cheap ones and don't expect more than three to four years from them.... Welcome to today's "Throw-Away-Society," I guess us home "Do-it-Yourself" ers needs to get used to it... :-(

• evdpgh
    12 years ago

"My dad has always been satisfied with the small cheaper models and that seems the best way to go."...So let me get this straight you want to follow dad's advise, buy the cheapest piece of crap you can find, throw it away every couple of years and then rant about the throw-away society. A LCO who does my neighbor's lawn is still using Toro commercials with Suzuki 2-strokes that are probably 20 years old and commercial trimmers and blowers that are probably pushing 8 years. Not only does the good stuff last longer, but it also works better.

• andyma_gw
    12 years ago

My rule for moving on from a piece of OPE is that it is time when I spend more time fixing something than I do using it.

• ewalk
    12 years ago

Andy: Good Rule of Thumb Indeed !

• eurstupid
    11 years ago

Thanks Masiman...now I have a pile of junk....

If you're not sure of what you're talking about then shut up.

It's NOT reversed threaded...Nope...not at all...and I'll tell you that if you DO try to spin that torx out your way you'll shear the screw off in the crankshaft....just like I did.

COUNTERCLOCKWISE!!!!!!!

Same for the clutch!!!

• loger_gw
    11 years ago

My suggestion is to use an inch lb. torque wrench etc with good specs when tightening the clutch or fly wheel. It was my luck (After All These Years) not to have the proper tool and put a GOOOD Grunt as usual on a Poulan S25 type Saw's clutch. Running it was fine but when it stopped parts went flying due to un-threading. My nature was to start some saws with the side cover off to check oiling, that might have been my last. LOL.

It "HAD" always been with caution with the saw away form me while glancing to see oiling. That was not a fun lesson inside the garage with two friends present (not to mention the ruined caged/bearing.

• loger_gw
    11 years ago

A youtube is at the site's address below on, "How to Remove a Trimmer Clutch".

In this case, I can see a torque wrench is not necessary due to the clutch's hub is screwed down over the clutch and will keep the clutch tightened with a spanner wrench from spinning off. The spanner wrench will work for the Poulan's possibly but not as safe as the designed clutch wrench attached.

"This article explains how to remove the clutch from most line and string trimmers. Tips are provided for removing tricky clutch drum screws.

Here at eReplacementParts.com, one of the most common questions we receive about lawn trimmers is how to remove the trimmer clutch.

Trimmer clutches need to be removed when replacing the clutch drum, replacing other clutch parts, and when the trimmer starter needs to be accessed for repairs, service, or replacement. Removing the clutch drum is a little tricky, because turning the clutch drum screw will only turn the piston unless the piston is somehow bound up.
    Detailed steps and pictures are included in this article that explain how to remove a trimmer clutch and how to keep that trimmer piston from spinning.

Tools needed to remove a trimmer clutch:
    �h needle nose pliers
    �h screwdrivers
    �h #25 torx driver
    �h 3/4" socket and wrench
    �h adjustable spanner wrench
    �h a piece of nylon rope"

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/article/1771/How_to_Remove_a_Trimmer_Clutch.html

• loger_gw
    11 years ago

A youtube is at the site's address below on, "How to Remove a Trimmer Clutch".

In this case, I can see a torque wrench is not necessary due to the clutch's hub is screwed down over the clutch and will keep the clutch tightened with a spanner wrench from spinning off. The spanner wrench will work for the Poulan's possibly but not as safe as the designed clutch wrench attached.

"This article explains how to remove the clutch from most line and string trimmers. Tips are provided for removing tricky clutch drum screws.

Here at eReplacementParts.com, one of the most common questions we receive about lawn trimmers is how to remove the trimmer clutch.

Trimmer clutches need to be removed when replacing the clutch drum, replacing other clutch parts, and when the trimmer starter needs to be accessed for repairs, service, or replacement. Removing the clutch drum is a little tricky, because turning the clutch drum screw will only turn the piston unless the piston is somehow bound up.
    Detailed steps and pictures are included in this article that explain how to remove a trimmer clutch and how to keep that trimmer piston from spinning.

Tools needed to remove a trimmer clutch:
    �h needle nose pliers
    �h screwdrivers
    �h #25 torx driver
    �h 3/4" socket and wrench
    �h adjustable spanner wrench
    �h a piece of nylon rope"

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/article/1771/How_to_Remove_a_Trimmer_Clutch.html

• lbpod
    11 years ago

Hey, don't knock Masiman, he was only trying help,
    and I think he did a great job of that.
    As with any of this type of equipment, a left-hand
    thread is quite common. I remember, from my automotive
    repair days,back in the early 70s, on Chrysler products, the wheels on the left side, (driver's
    side), were held on by left hand threaded lugs. I replaced
    many broken studs for customers that 'didn't have a clue'.
    Myself, I always look at the direction something normaly spins, if it involves removing a bolt, or a nut. And, if
    there are any threads visible, then take a close look,
    that will give you a big 'HELLO'. But NEVER, EVER, condemn
    a person that is trying to help you. I learned that lesson
    the hard way. Peace be with you, My Son.

• loger_gw
    11 years ago

Poulan's old S25 chainsaws clutch wrenches that might apply to holding some trimmer clutches. Missed in my frustration to reply that ended up double w/o the attachment (now attached and with an address below).

Some days connecting to this forum and replying can be very frustrating (almost impossible and not related to other forums). Is this common to others due to traffic or etc or am I possibly dealing with computer problems?

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=31115