Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
husqvarna 455 rancher chain brake

Posted by bulldog1_2010 mich (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 28, 10 at 8:56

Hi everyone, new to the forum, and need help with a chain brake on my chainsaw. I purchased a slightly used husqvarna 455 rancher, and wanted to give it a good cleaning before using it, and took the chain brake out of the saw, now I can't compress the spring enough to get it back where it belongs.I've never had a saw this big, or one with a chain brake so this is new territory for me. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: husqvarna 455 rancher chain brake

I have not worked on a Husky before but hopefully it is nearly the same as Stihl.

You must make sure the chain brake is disengaged before trying to reinstall. To disengage the brake you must pull the chain brake handle back (toward you) as you would when you are going to cut. Otherwise you leave the brake engaged which makes it difficult to put the brake on. Think of it like trying to change the brakes on your car. If you don't compress the brake piston you can't get the caliper assembly onto the rotor.

If the system is similar to Stihl, the spring will be stretched when the brake is disengaged. The spring will probably help braking by reducing the force necessary to engage the brake.

o

To reset the spring just push the chain break all the way forward. Line the clutch cover over chainsaw, and push it in. That's it, instructional video below

Here is a link that might be useful: Resetting husqvarna chain brake

o

Was the saw working before you disassembled it? Did you just remove the chain brake/clutch cover housing or did you disassemble the chain brake/clutch housing? I think we need to know what you actually did and if the saw was working before you cleaned it? I also think to release the chain brake you would pull the handle back to expand the band around the clutch drum. if you have the brake on the band would be smaller than the clutch drum and would not want to go over it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here