Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
billyjohnson_gw

Toro Snowblower

billyjohnson
13 years ago

Hello. I have a Toro Snowblower model# 38050 S/N 9002321. I have a question about the impeller. Is the impeller supposed to be loose or should it be somewhat tight? When the auger level is engaged is tightens up the impeller but when it is not engaged I can grab the pole to the auger and move it up and down and the impeller moves freely. Is there a bolt or anything I need to tighten, is there something missing or is it suppose to be that way to compensate for bigger chunks of snow or ice that could potentially damage the snowblower?

Thank You.

Comments (14)

• canguy
    13 years ago

You should not be able to move the shaft up and down, the bearing between the impeller and pulley has likely failed. The machine needs to be split to access it.

• billyjohnson
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello canguy. Thank You for your reply. I do not have a manual for the snowblower. Not really sure how to fix it or a part number. Do you know how I could obtain both? Or perhaps might you know how to perform the proceedure?

Thank You.

• baymee
    13 years ago

It's a major job and pulleys don't always come off shafts with ease. Most blowers are similarly built.

Just behind the auger housing, you'll see two or three bolts in a vertical line. Remove the top bolts, but let one in place loosely, and the drive belts and chute linkage, if necessary. Now loosen the bottom bolt. The unit will "break" in half. At this point you may just want to remove the entire auger section.

The pulley will now be accessible. Loosen any set screw and prepare for the hard job of getting the pulley off. It may require heat and a puller, or hammer. There could be a bearing plate under the pulley. You'll probably have to unbolt the auger bolts on the left and right sides and pull the entire auger out along with the shaft and impeller.

The rest should be self explanatory. Reassemble the parts using Never Seize, especially the pulley and impeller shaft contact areas.

• billyjohnson
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello baymee and Thank You for your reply. OK. I managed to get the pulley off. After getting the pulley off there is about 1/2 to 1" at the back of the shaft. There is a flat metal circular piece that looks as if it acts as a washer at the base of where it looks like the bearings go? There is also a rectangular piece of metal attached to the shaft between the bottom of the flat metal piece and the bearings base. The flat metal piece along with the rectangular shaped metal on the shaft will not let the shaft move forward or back. Is that the bearing plate? If so, how do I remove it? What will replace it? What is my next step please?

Thank You.

• baymee
    13 years ago

It sounds like you're describing the bearing plate. The auger bearings in front have to be removed from the auger housing and at that point you should be able to pull the entire assy. out from the front. You may need some gentle persuasion by striking gently the shaft to get it to go through the bearing plate. Maybe you can unbolt the one side of the bearing plate under the pulley. If the shaft won't move in the bearing plate, it's probably seized a little. I always use Never Seize on stuff like that.

• billyjohnson
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank You again baymee. After doing some further research the bearings I need to replace can be accessed from behind the auger housing. Now my question is how do you get the woodruff-key off? Once the woodruff-key is removed the washer will slide off and I can unbolt the 3 bolts to where the bearings are then slide off the casing and replace the bearings. The woodruff-key looks like it could just be pulled/pryed out but at the same time it looks to be welded to the shaft?

Thank You.

• baymee
    13 years ago

Just get a pair of electricians dykes and grab it and using a lever action, just lift it right out of the slot.

Or use a punch and try to get as close to the shaft as possible and drive it out. You might have to clean up the surface from either tool when done.

• billyjohnson
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank You baymee yet one more time. I am sorry but could you please explain in more detail on how to use the punch to possibly drive it out? If this does not work can it be cut off?

Thank You.

• baymee
    13 years ago

A woodruff key looks like a half moon. The cutout it's in is round. If you hit the end of it as close as you can to the shaft, it should pop up and out. You want the punch in a straight line with the long length of the key.

You can also pinch the end of the key with a wire cutters and use the cutters in a downward lever motion and the key will lift out.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Billy , You may wish to spray some penetrating oil on the woodruff key and let sit overnight or a few hrs prior to removal procedure that Baymee has suggested , just to assist in the seized key removal with a sharp centre punch.
    P.S. You can't go wrong with Bays R&R Techniques he sometimes even supplies Tutorial Pic's :).

• billyjohnson
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank You both baymee and ewalk. I truly do appreciate your time and input. The woodruff key that I have on my snowblower is not a half moon shape. It is the rectangular piece I mentioned earlier in this posting but did not know the name of the piece at that time. Not sure how to get that off? Pry it off? Cut it off? I do not want to damage the key or the shaft so the pulley does not fit back onto the shaft. The pulley is notched to fit over the key and then secure with 2 set screws. In the Toro Parts Diagram the image looks like a half moon but like I mentioned mine has a small rectangular shaped key. The woodruff key on my snowblower does not look like it has been fabricated. Is there anyway I could provide a picture on GardenWeb or this posting?

Thank You.

• baymee
    13 years ago

Same trick, different key

{{gwi:308490}}

Use a wire cutter and really pinch hard on the key end and pull the cutter downward to lever the key out.

{{gwi:308491}}

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Billy , don't fret if you burr up the Key a little , filing or fast pass with a small grinder or dremel will clean up the damage . We use to make our own keys (square) from key-steel stock .We accomplished the taper by hand draw filing and checking interference fit with a micrometer. It may take a few well aimed strikes to remove as identified in Bays illustrations .

• billyjohnson
    Original Author
    13 years ago

THANK YOU EVERYONE. I got the woodruff key off and now can replace the bearings. THANK YOU to EVERYONE for your time, input and patience.