Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pull Srart shroud removal?

Posted by bob44 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 28, 12 at 9:26

I am trying to remove the pull start shroud to upgrade the paint on the shroud. I have all bolts removed from shroud. In removing, left side of shroud does not clear carb. Must the carb be removed to make the shroud clear? If carb needs to be removed, how is that done? I have already removed the air cleaner assembly and metal mounting bracket for air cleaner.
The two nuts holding a.c. bracket have also been removed that are on the threaded studs that go thru carb body. Carb and spacer to engine are not loose at this point. I tried to to push and pry a little, but carb is still tight. After the two front nuts have been removed, does the carb just slide forward on the two brass colored studs?
thanks, Bob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pull Srart shroud removal?

Model 21A682J063
#1B193G90024
This info was included in previous post, but not shown.
Bob

o

Pull Start shroud removal On What? LOL. What did I miss? Please give more info and a general picture showing where you are on the project.

o
RE:Briggs & Stratton Pull Start shroud removal?

My Bad. Info on tag for model number is 3BSXS3422HT.
My search on net comes up not found.
Any help is appreciated.
thanks, Bob

o

Additional pic. of shroud removal.
Bob

o

Last pic.
Bob

o

http://s1166.photobucket.com/albums/q614/wildfox65/

Here are some pics of the removal of shroud. No bolt behind carb. Carb needs to be loosen remove shroud.

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 6, 12 at 5:34

Carbs are usually held in place by two bolts/nuts but maybe an additional bolt and bracket. I haven't run into a shroud removal that required removing the carb. The carb should slide off the two studs but make careful notes on the way the governor linkages and springs go, including the direction the ends of the links go into the carb and governor lever. Carb might be stuck to the engine by the paper gasket between the carb and engine.

o

One pic shows some screws around the black part of the starter, with a black, flat thing sticking out of it. Is that the starter? Removing the screws/bolts should allow you to remove the black thing, so you can fix the rope. I wouldn't think you would have tto remove that big rusty pot, or whatever it is, just to replace the rope. And, if you aren't mechanically inclined, take it to a shop to be fixed!

o

Problem has been solved. Here is a another pic. Carb had to be loosen and pulled away from engine. The bump - out on the left side of shroud is covering the armature behind it.
Once the carb is pulled out, then the shroud can removed. There are three bolts that hold the shroud to the engine. All three are in clear view. No bolts on the shroud near the carb.
thanks,Bob

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here