Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chainsaw bar length

Posted by trails38 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 10, 10 at 10:46

When comparing chainsaws with the same ccs, what is the difference in speed between a 16" and 20" bar; e.g., how much difference in time would there be when cutting? Also, other than the size of tree it can handle, I'd like to know what performance differences there are between bar sizes. Thanks, Trails38

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chainsaw bar length

The shorter bar will pull the chain faster (less weight, less friction). Maybe a few seconds difference in time I would guess (assuming that the saws can adequately pull a 20" chain). It's not so much about the bar length as it is about the strength of the engine, all else being equal. A 30cc saw would have a hard time with a 16" bar in hardwood. It would be pretty useless to try a 20" bar on that size saw.

Shop the motor, engine size and even throw in the brand. Match it to what you want to do. I don't like to say brand but if you want to cut a chords of firewood for home heating, I'd steer you away from Poulan, Craftsman and the like.

o

I don't think you will find any difference in the speed of cutting with different bar lengths. What will make a difference is the engine power (size) and the proper sharpening of the chain. When I am cutting anything of significant diameter, I rock the saw a little, so that the contact between the chain and the log is shorter than the full diameter of the log. This way you are cutting always a 4-inch piece. If you have all 14 inches of chain contacting the log, you just load up the cut with chips. The rocking keeps thing less crowded in there. Oh, and don't get a huge saw for generally light work; there is more danger of mishandling it. Take it from a guy with a scarred knee.

o

I've always heard 3 cc. of enginse displacement per inch of bar length is ideal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here