Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning a (Real) Filthy Fuel Tank

Posted by ibuzzard (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 1, 11 at 11:18

I recently bought a older BCS 725,w/8 h.p.Acme engine.It was very inexpensive,but I knew having sat for years,there would be issues.After tank removal,I removed the fuel petcock to clean the tank.

There was so much dirt,almost as if someone sabotaged the previous owner.I was actually knocking dirt hunks loose with a rubber mallet!Oddly,the outside of the metal tank is in surprisingly good shape,thogh the plastic parts on the petcock crumbled to dust

Is there any way for a home-owner to successfully clean such a dirty tank,or should I take it to a radiator shop for boiling out?The replacement tank is plastic,expensive and,I am told by a nearby dealer,not of very high quality.I would like to save the steel tank if possible,but not spend a lot of money.Can it be done?If it is necessary,how do I remove the plastic fuel filler neck from the tank?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning a (Real) Filthy Fuel Tank

I have heard that a handful of limestone driveway stones/ stuff/ covering, and a pint of water. along with some hearty shaking, might clean it out.
Another way is take it to a radiator shop and have them boil it out! Its all iffy-it might work ok, and it might not, and you'd have to get a new one, which i would certainly opt for! RJ

o

I would suggest running a compression test on the engine to see if it was sabotage and the dirt damaged the cylinder. Were their any explanations how the dirt got into the tank? Did you check the oil in the engine's crankcase? How long did it sit? loger

o

probably kids sticking thing in holes or you live in the drought area of the country? I just use pressure washer or garden hose (course pressure washer would be better), then bottle brush, pressure washer, rinse with gas or alcohol.

Course you just can't stop there. replace the fuel lines, filter if it got one, clean the carb. change the oil, and check the air filter. Remove the spark plug spay 5 second blast carb. cleaner down the hole. motor the engine (pull the rope several times) to blow out any carbon while priming the combustion chamber. Clean the plug, check the gap, hit it with carb. cleaner install it and fire it up after you put gas in the gas tank.

o

CLR bathroom product best to mix with half water set overnight it rinse out clean next day with garden hose sun dry tank. You put some mix gas as chainsaw gas that oil inside surface tank. It shine when look in tank. Put some CLR in cup for cap cleaning.

o

I've got a steel tank from an old ALN330 p/n B0435. Parted out the engine because of blown rod. Only saved carburetor, tank, and clutch.

If interested contact me thru the forum, and make an offer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here