Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

tool name

Posted by wisterialane Italy (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 27, 10 at 11:59

Does anybody happen to know the name in English of this particular tool? I'd be eternally grateful! here it is (used to dig holes in the ground for various purposes, planting poles etc):

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: tool name

I couldn't conjure up the picture, but i think you are describing a "Post-hole digger". If it has two long wooden handles, and a half bucket type thing on the end, hinged so they sit opposite of each other, on the ends of the handles--yep--thats a post-hole digger! A good tool for the purpose, but if you have a lot of holes to dig, it might be better to rent a powered post-hole digger.
Pre-dug post holes are available from some place in the Kountry Life section, but i'm not sure of the cost or availability! by: Rusty Jones

RE: tool name

It's called a drain spade.

RE: tool name

I couldn't find a drain spade picture to match what the OP posted.

What searches call a drain spade is what I call a transplant spade.

I have not seen anything like that before. I am guessing based on the company you link to that sells that tool plus the design that it is meant to be a type of post hole digger. The company seemed to be a fencing company. The tool looks to have a long heavy handle similar to a landscaper bar. The small head and curved/bent sides along with the heaviness (assumption) would make it suited for using the tool going up and down like a post hole digger. If it is heavy you could go us it near horizontally but it would be less efficient if it is as heavy as I think.

Page 5 of this catalog shows the same type of shovel along with another landscape type bar. AGRICOLT-GIARD 162-169.pdf

RE: tool name

This is a picture that the OP posted.

RE: tool name

Does look like some type of spade. Not a post hole digger of which there are two basic types. The Clamshell which is most popular and the Boston digger which has a single blade for digging and a clamp for pulling the dirt out of the hole. With any post hole digger you have to have some means of pulling dirt up out of the hole.

Here is a link that might be useful: Post hole diggers

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here