Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leaveswave

recommend a lopper

leaveswave
12 years ago

I need a two-handed lopper for some fairly significant shrub pruning. Extendable handles would be a bonus.

The most constraining constraint (heh heh) is it needs to be in stock at my local Home Depot, Lowes, or Menards (so no wait or shipping cost). Gardening stores and nurseries seem to have higher prices without necessarily carrying better brands.

I want to hear about the good as well as the bad--what brand/model do you swear by and what do you avoid like the plague?

Comments (2)

• rustyj14
    12 years ago

I have a pair of hedge clippers that i bought back around 1951-2, and they still work good. I doubt anything made lately will do that good a job. My gasoline weed-wacker was bought new around 1985, still runs ok. My Snapper rear engine rider, 33 inch deck, grass catcher, 12 h.p. engine, (replaced 2 years ago,) bought new in '83, still operating!
    What to avoid? It is hard to avoid any new stuff made in USA! Most everything sez:"Made in China"!

• loger_gw
    12 years ago

The tool below from Home Depot has worked good the past 3 years for me. loger

Fiskars 21-1/2 in. Bypass Lopper
    Model # 91325966J
    Internet # 100180449
    Store SKU # 453521
    Store SO SKU # 274097

Lightweight and super-sharp, this 21 in. Bow Saw is ideal for clearing brush and pruning. It features a hardened carbon-steel blade with rust inhibitor, safety tension lever for added control and a lightweight tubular-steel frame for easy use. Replacement blade (7025) available to keep this Bow Saw functioning at its best. Lifetime warranty.