Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'mystery fuel' damage fuel pump??

Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 10, 11 at 14:00

OK, I've seen the "mystery fuel" we buy at the pumps blamed for a lot of sins here and in other forums. Did some blaming myself as a matter of fact.

Just replaced the fuel pump in my '97 F-150, 4.2L, the interesting thing is that I replaced it in 2007 also. Chatting with some mechanic friends, they all are of the opinion that after market fuel pumps don't last as long, but 4 years seems a little short. They don't know my luck..

Wondering if an additive would have helped prolong life, or if the trucks's low mileage (5,000 a year) is a factor.

I replace the fuel filter every other year given the low mileage.

I realize it's my fault, I'm supposed to replace the truck every five years. :-)

Ev

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'mystery fuel' damage fuel pump??

bummer, I got 350 k miles out my BMW's FP. Running an electric pump out of gas will kill 'em fast. When I'm messing around with my spare pump, I run a little MMO through it.

o
RE: 'mystery fuel' damage fuel pump??

I had 89 tempo that didn't have fuel pump problem till it was recalled to replace the fuel pump. after that it when out every 10,000 miles.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here