Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tool shed floor

Posted by knuttle z7bnc (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 14:57

About a year and a half a go I got a new shed. I use it to store the lawn tractor, and other small motorized hand tools, and shovels, rakes, pitch forks, etc.

I have a small workbench on one side to do minor work on the tools. check oil, fill with gas, etc.

The floor is pressure treated plywood, and has several coats of acrylic paint.

Try as I may I spill things on the floor, a little oil, some gas, etc. as I maintain and prepare to use the equipment.

In ten years I would not like to have an oil soaked floor. I would like to put something on the floor that would not absorb the gasoline, oil, or what ever I may spill.

I have thought about adding more paint, vinyl floor covering, some kind of mat, but nothing seems perfect.

Could I get some ideas of how others have solved this problem.

I am nearly 70, so I don't think I am going to become less clumsy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tool shed floor

I used vinyl and run up wall 6" are more work very well easy cleaned did gassing out side gas will pour back into container out side oil dry works on vinyl. A 2x4 table 4x4 legs pressure treated high, 8 foot long 3ft. wide works good outside gaps between boards makes easy clean off. I don't like plywood floor to hard clean.
I buy my vinyl 2 foot longer and 2 foot wider so go up wall this makes corners easy to clean and around wall edges even if pole barn style wall 2x4 studs.

This post was edited by gator_rider2 on Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 5:30

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 21:39

A two-part epoxy paint is what we use in an industrial plant and it holds up like iron.

o

I had thought of the two part epoxy, but will it be flexible enough to last on a 3/4" plywood floor, supported by 2X6 16 inches on center?

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 20:36

Don't know, but the finish doesn't crack on my hardwood floors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here