Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My in-line spark tester did a good job this morning.

Posted by loger (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 15:05

1. My in-line spark tester did a good job this morning. It showed spark that I could not see on three plugs. To prove it, I primed the engine and it fired.

2. While cleaning and investigating no fire on an Echo HCA 2400 I found other conflicts:

A. The kill switch was going to ground in the off or
on position (for now I disconnected it).

B. Carb’s side w/n serve as a engine ground due to
the fiber insulator, gasket even w metal screws.

C. “Nothing Is Free”, this had to be the most neglect
I have seen. It had to have been on dirt 3 yrs.

3. The fire on the prime and spotless cyl proved it should be worth the work it’s requiring (maybe 90’s model).

4. I’ll hope to have the backup trimmer on line in 2-3 wks after a break and fishing before the heat.

Good Luck With Your Projects/Experiments!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My in-line spark tester did a good job this morning.

I've had one of them in my garage for years and have yet used it. Hopefully I won't have to.

o

• Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 10:54

That's a "wonderful thing" and when you need it, you need it! Anybody remember timing lights? I had one that I used to check for spark on small engines. Always have a battery around or on something to power it. However, it "evaporated" one weekend....:-( Only case of theft I've ever had. Would like to find another one sometime.

o

exmar and Others, Please describe your connection points, ground, plug in cyl and circuit or not or show a simple diagram of checking fire with old inductive timing lights. I tried my 1970s 110v inductive timing light and could not see any indications of spark.

1. I tried a number of configurations but no luck.

2. I tried with the plug out for ease but possibly lost ground.

3. Plus, after running/working trimmers, I could have just been tired.

4. Have you experienced differences in the Echo tapered end idle screw, with very fine threads that appear the same but are not?

The TX heat will send me inside to my list of Computer Projects/Updates after this week (after the 6:30 2 mi energy walk). I’ll hope to go with a Bang, Fishing First Light in the morning until this heat passes. The Bottom Line Is, We Have To Keep Moving If Our Bodies Are Use To Exercise Etc!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here