Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnuch

echo trimmer leaking fuel through muffler

johnuch
15 years ago

brand new carb...wont start...but seems to be leaking at muffler........any help very appreciated...thx

Comments (14)

• ladylake
    15 years ago

Your needle valve is leaking, either put together wrong or a piece of dirt got in the needle. Steve

• den69rs96
    15 years ago

I agree with above. I think yungman is going to have to update his poll on 2 strokes vs 4 mix engines with all these two stroke problems.

• johnuch
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hate to be a pain, but this is a "brand new walbro carb" out of the box....this trimmer was leaking before a little....rebuilt the carb and had same prob. ...so i purchaed a new one...could it be a gasket at engine...im confused

• weed_cutter
    15 years ago

More info needed to help with this.
    Does the unit leak all the time or just when you try to start it?
    Does the engine sputter and try to start, or is it as dead as a doornail.
    How much fuel have you seen come out of the muffler, a drop or 2, or a teaspoon or more?
    What were the symptoms that preceeded the carb rebuild?
    Is the plug clean/new? Is the air filter clean? How old is the unit?

• johnuch
    Original Author
    15 years ago

weed cutter.....I guess i am cheapÂ..circa 1991Âran all these years Â.and maintained itÂ.over the winter noticed a little fuel coming out ..it wasnÂt the tankÂ.couldn't find out whereÂ..beginning of spring I got it to start but only at full throttleÂÂ.had carb cleanedÂnew membranes tooÂ..nothingÂ.then I bought a brand new carb which I installed yest.ÂÂstill the sameÂ..there seems to be a sparkÂÂ.i have tried new and old plugsÂ..maybe I flooded it yest. But every time I pulled the ropeÂ.fuel would kind a spit outÂ.looks like from the muffler areaÂÂtoday I made sure I didnÂt prime so much, hence no spitingÂÂÂits weirdÂ..air filter is fine...still cant at least something like a sputter at least when cranking.......................

• weed_cutter
    15 years ago

I have no magic recommendations for this but here are some basics:
    Clean exhaust port, make sure muffler isn't clogged.
    Cleck fuel line & primer for leakage.
    Factory adjustment of the new carb may be too far off to allow the engine to start but probably not.
    Engine compression may be gone.

Often I have to remind myself to relax, take some time and check the whole thing over for loose screws, rubbed wire insulation and such.

• ladylake
    15 years ago

The only way for fuel to get in the engine is through the carb. I'd guess there is some crud in the tank that gets into the needle causing it to leak. Steve

• johnuch
    Original Author
    15 years ago

looks like i finally got the trimmer to work....i guess i flooded it trying to start...have to adjust idle up though...wont stay at idle.....the other thing im trying to figure out how to stop the head from turning at idle...............

• jsouth3
    15 years ago

Turn the idle speed screw counter clockwise 1/8 of a turn,until the head stops.Hope this helps.

Jerry

• jackiees
    15 years ago

I recently purchased Echo SRM-210 trimmer. I have (lots of) gas spitting out. Starts fine but then spits and leaks heavily thru muffler even when holding level. Attenmpting to turn to trim is hopeless. This is SO disappointing after putting out the money on what I thought was a good machine. Can you help?

• weed_cutter
    15 years ago

More info needed here also.
    Is it a new unit or a recently purchased used unit, how old is it and how much use has it had?
    Did this start suddenly or has it developed over time?
    What maint have you done?
    Probably a carb kit is in order but that is an uninformed guess.

• jackiees
    15 years ago

Purchased new at Home Depot at the end of last fall season (~ October 2007). Have used about 6 times (only trim about every 2 months during winter season, then about monthly during warmer season -- I have small lot, less than 1/4A, so we are not talking about a lot). Had always spluttered some on start-up and couldn't figure where it was coming from, but now has gotten worse and can easily see where coming thru vent hole in gas tank cap, and then later gushing out of muffler. Have not had any maintenance done. Was not expecting to have to with such a brand new one! That's why I bought a new one rather than fixing the old one.

• weed_cutter
    15 years ago

Sounds like a carb problem that should be covered under warranty. Take it back to HD and make it their problem to deal with.

• jackiees
    15 years ago

Thanks.