Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gas trimmer for once per month use

Posted by texas_er_np USDA 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 3, 10 at 15:30

I am looking for a string trimmer to use at a vacation home. I would like to have a gas powered trimmer but am concerned about the gasoline gumming up the carb during periods of non-use. I frequent the home the last week of each month so the trimmer will sit for three consecutive weeks in between use.

Will this period of non use create a problem with the unit starting or is there something that I can do to prevent a problem such as following some sort of winterizing procedure after each use?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gas trimmer for once per month use

If you know how to take care of it, all brand is just as good for that. It is stale gas that gum up the carb. One you can use Stabil ( blue color not the red ) and put 1oz ( double dosage) to keep the gas good for at least 4 to 6 months. When 4 months is up, dump the remaining gas into your car and put in new ones. You should not have too much problem. Some of my stuff like my Mantis is being use ones every other month. I sometimes actually empty the tank, prime the bulb empty, re-empty the tank. Then close the choke, hold the throttle wide open and start it to run it dry. That way I store the equipment for months without having problem.

There is not brand that is better or worst. I have been doing this for like two years and all my stuff works. I am a gear head, I have multiple equipments of the same kind so I really don't use each piece that often. So I have been doing this and it is all good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here