Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stihl MS290 - Impulse line

Posted by Workinguy OR (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 16, 12 at 15:46

So my saw was running fine then started to slow down and eventually would not rev up. It kinda starts still. Anyway I replaced the fuel line, put in a new carb kit and still only starts and dies. I then took off the carb again and was going to take out the impulse line and decided to blow in the impulse line. There is no resistance to either pressure or vacuum when doing this on the impulse line. I turned the flywheel while blowing on the line as well and still very little resistance to pressure or vacuum. Is that normal, and if not, what has to be done to fix this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stihl MS290 - Impulse line

That is perfectly normal, the other end opens into the crank case. It operates the fuel pump via changes in air pressure as the engine is running. Make sure it is not cracked.

o
RE: Stihl MS290 - Impulse line

So is there no seal in the crank case that may cause this rough running issue? I am in doubt that the impulse line is cracked or leaking and my saw has never acted like this before. And had a slow death over the course of about 20 minutes. Usually runs strong after just a couple pulls on the cord now it just sputters (after multiple pulls) and dies even after the carb rebuild and new fuel line. The exhaust side of the piston is a little rough but doesn't look to bad. Any other ideas?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here