Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deep Cycle Batteries

Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 10, 12 at 15:56

Hi Folks,

May be off topic here, but guessing a lot of you have boats. I decided to get my fishing boat out of the barn and into the water. Gotta replace the trolling motor battery as the one in it is definitely toast. Haven't had the boat in the water for 4 years, now we have time to rectify that situation.

I'm out of contact with the deep cycle battery market, what's a "reasonable" battery these days? Googled and came up with "around $200" to under $100-Wally world naturally. The Wally world one had good reviews and the price is more in line with what I remember.

Boat batteries are a particular nemesis of mine. You buy a new one, use it all summer, then it sits all winter, trickle charge it, deep cycle discharge it, etc. And a year (or two If you're lucky) you get to buy another one. Yeah, I know it's due to the plate construction being set up for lower and extended amp draws than a conventional one, but I don't have to like it!!!! :-)

Any advice?

Ev

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deep Cycle Batteries

Usually I use Exide or any Premium Spiral wound Deep Cycle Battery . Trickle Charge when not in use get 8-10 yrs normally .

o

• Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 11, 12 at 14:06

Thanks, I'll look into those. Looks like I'll be spending more than I want, however with the life expectancy you've mentioned it would be worth it.

Thanks again,

Ev

o

If you check around often Optimium Batterys are on sale , yes more expensive but they are much better quality then the lead cell units .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here