Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patriotp74

Echo weed eater wont start

PatriotP74
10 years ago

Found this forum through google, so hello to everyone! I have always found forums the most helpful for everything from hunting and fishing to tearing down my 4 wheeler, so why not find one for a weedeater!

Ive cleaned the carb, everything seems to be fine, when choke on cold start and i pull it sounds just like no gas, turn it to run and pull on the handle throttle it goes to a much deeper sound on each pull. but no fire.

any ideas??

Thanks

Comments (8)

• loger_gw
    10 years ago

Are you grounding the plug to engineâÂÂs metal when checking for fire?

What model Echo? Please give more history on the age and yearly maintenance. Such as: When did it run good last? Do you store it and run it with a gas stabilizer (Stabil/Etc) in it 100% of the time if ethanol corn gas is used?

• loger_gw
    10 years ago

More:

1. Did you soak the carb in cleaner or just used compressed carb cleaner?

2. Did you rem all adjustment screws/needle and verify all passages were open with cleaner or wire?

3. Did you try to start it with a manual prime with two cycle mix?

If we get yours started, maybe my "backup" Echo PE 2000 will start. LOL. I feel I need fresh fuel after treated fuel sat a year.

• loger_gw
    10 years ago

More:

1. Did you soak the carb in cleaner or just used compressed carb cleaner?

2. Did you rem all adjustment screws/needle and verify all passages were open with cleaner or wire?

3. Did you try to start it with a manual prime with two cycle mix?

If we get yours started, maybe my backup Echo PE 2000 will start. LOL. I feel I need fresh fuel after treated fuel sat a year.

Bingo! A friend just called to say he has a running Echo HCA 2400 (which is a Pole Hedge Trimmer) that I can have. It should be close or an identical fit for my extra Echo SRM 210 String TrimmerâÂÂs shaft.

• PatriotP74
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow email did not let me know i had replies! I used compressed carb cleaner, not running anything in the gas to help with the horrible ethanol, last worked end of last year i believe, not sure though i think he might of had a small engine mechanic work on it and it never worked after that or before for that matter i suppose, will get model asap and more info on last run time, its a newer one maybe 3-5 years old, no yearly maintenance dad just runs them till they stop , besides blowing out the air filter with an air compressor. O.o lol

Thanks!

• PatriotP74
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay update, it is an Echo SRM-210 also says echo -30 on one side of it.
    As far as working it was running when it was taken to the mechanic, the trimmer part down low cannot think of what is called, stopped working this guy put a new kind on there and ever since no fire on the engine.

It does need a new fuel line assembly because its gunked up and all cracked but not sure if that could cause it not to work?

Thanks!

• loger_gw
    10 years ago

The gunk and cracks are symptoms of ethanol fuel with out stabilizer and will definitely cause it not to run. This should not cause the plug not to fire. Back to the basics!

1. Are you grounding the plug to engineâÂÂs metal when checking for fire? If so, Have you tried a different plug?

2. Did you try to start it with a manual prime with two cycle mix?

3. If the compression feels weak, you s/n be able to hold it in with your finger if a gauge is not handy.

Spark/Fuel/Compression should get you some results and the gunk and cracked lines will need repairing before it will continue to run vs trying.

• PatriotP74
    Original Author
    10 years ago

okay how do i ground the plug to the engines metal? sorry i can do carbs beyond that havnt worked much on the spark plugs haha and as far as starting just the mix of gas and oil it calls for nothing special! and yes prime it using the bubble, And if the compression is weak ill be able to hold in the bubble while trying?

Thanks!!

• loger_gw
    10 years ago

1. Make sure the plug is touching the metal where it threads into the eng while looking for a spark at the plugâÂÂs gap.

2. Use a little fresh 50:1 direct into the carb (a half tea spoon vs using primer bulb due to old fuel in lines.

3. If pulling to start feels weak rem plug and try to hold comp in cyl with your finger.

Where is that friend/neighbor that understands the process of small engines to coach over your shoulder?