Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gas.... just google it

Posted by robertz6 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 17:22

I have had my share of problems starting my gas equipment, and sometimes read some of the posts on this forum. Today I walked over to my local BP station for some gas. I asked the cashiers (service station converted to a retail store) about the gas. Since there was no info on the pumps themselves that I saw, I asked what the ratio of gas to alchol, 90/10 or whatever.

Both the cashiers were perplexed at this question, and one suggested that I just 'google it'. I guess they had no info booklet that answers might be looked up in.

So I just now did try to google it. The first page of web sites did not provide the answer, although I did note there is a site Pure-gas.org, with zero sites listed for my large metro area.

I did notice that the formerly recovery-type delivery nozzles were replaced by the old-fashioned type nozzles on this visit.

BP, try harder. Just this week I read an article in the newspaper about 85% gas causing worries on some types of gaskets.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gas.... just google it

I guess the big companies don't want you knowing the answer to that question.

Where I live there is quite a lot of ethanol in the fuel and this wreaks havoc on fuel injectors.The water binds to the ethanol and causes the hoses to break down clogging up the one micron sized fuel injectors.

One time we put the fuel into a clear bottle to get a better idea of exactly what we were putting into the engine of our boat. I had a feeling it wasn't going to be crystal clear but I wasn't prepared for just how much dirt and water was floating around inside......... it was a Shell garage by the way.

Ultimately the boat wasn't able to operate in the area I live as non ethanol fuel is not available.

o

Some states require the pump to have a sticker about percent ethanol content. Some states don't require the sticker. Here's a link that shows it state by state:

Here is a link that might be useful: Ethanol Laws - State by State Guide

o

Wow, thanks, the situation is worse than I had imagined.

My state (MO) is one of those not required to say how much ethanol or other gunk is in the gas you may or may not wish to buy. The web site referenced above divides states into-- not required to state %, MAY be required to state %, and those required to state the % if above a certain amount (usually 1-2.5%).

Things just keeping declining. I went over get a haircut at my Great Clips, and when I declined to provide a name and number for their database, I had to leave. Back to the barber shop for me.

o

Fortunately no ethanol additive here in the Great White North ...Yet ! However cross the Border in Northern Michigan 10% is NORMAL . Reports have it that 15% ethanol is on the way in the near future. Keep a bottle of ethanol fuel treatment conveniently available folks :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here