Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stihl FS-75 problem

Posted by Tag1260 none (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 17:40

I have a Stihl FS-75 line trimmer and it runs great at high speed and starts pretty easy. The problem is that it won't idle down. I can't get it to idle low enough to get the head to quit spinning at a fairly high speed. There are no high and low needles to adjust on the carburetor. Any ideas?
Thanks
Tag

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stihl FS-75 problem

There should be a screw related to the linkage vs carb if you look close. I feel something is miss aligned (if you look close) if this has not always been a problem.

o

Thanks for the reply. I guess after reading I wasn't entirely clear. I know the screw you are talking about. I can adjust that lower, but the engine stops running when I get too low, before I can get it idling at a low RPM. There's another screw that looks like some sort of needle adjustment but it's square on the end. It also doesn't do anything until it's completely removed.

o

Has this always been a problem vs just starting? Some new carbs have no adjustments and some have limits. I have remed plastics limits and sollve problems.

o

Started last fall but put it off until now.
Thanks

o

How old is the trimmer? My Stihl needs a carb rebuild every 3 years or so. The new gas kills the flexible parts in the carbs.

A carb rebuild kit is only a few bucks at the Stihl dealer and it is a fairly simple process with hand tools and Utube vids. If your trimmer is more than 3 years old, it might be just as effective to pull the carb and rebuild it completely.

Get a new filter/ clunker for the tank while you're at it so it can draw plenty of clean fuel.

o

Have you used Stabil or any additives for the corn gas per tank used (if you use corn gas)? I have treated 2 gals per purchase since the start of corn gas and have not seen one related problem yet.

A good inspection for deteriorations (fuel lines, diaphragms) and cleaning (screens, etc) would be a good idea with these symptoms (as mentioned).

Are RPM issues usually a sucking air matter or what?

Good Luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here