Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chasbebe

Help with Green Machine engine problem

chasbebe
18 years ago

Green Machine string trimmer/brush cutter starts fine and then dies after about 45 seconds. Made by HMC, out of production for some years, has Shindaiwa 2.5 cc, 2 cycle engine with TK carburetor. Engine primes and starts easily, runs for a short period and dies. I can keep it running at full speed by continuing to operate the priming bulb. Stop priming and it dies. I have installed carburetor rebuild kit with new gaskets, diaphragms, washers etc. and still have problem. Will appreciate any ideas, suggestions and tips. Thanks, Charlie.

Comments (16)

• kenskip1
    18 years ago

Chasebebe,
    Sounds like a possible gas line or gas filter problem from this end.The line may have a kink in it. The gas filter may be clogged. Or a pinhole in the line. I am not up to par (golf lingo) on this type of engine but this is all that comes to mind. Good luck, Ken

• chasbebe
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Kenskip - I have inspected the fuel line for leaks and visually verified no kinks. Tried to run without filter and still get same result. Thanks for your input.

• Fisher
    18 years ago

The fuel line could still be the trouble, after it gets some age, the rubber breaks down and the line collapses
    in use. But the tank vent could be clogged as well.
    Loosening the cap will help isolate this problem.
    Fish

• jammer1
    18 years ago

the line is most likely porous,cracked,and sucking air,it has to be if the carb is rebuilt,to spec's,

• chasbebe
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jammer - Thanks for the input. I have pressure checked the fuel line and primer tube and they check OK. I now think it might be an internal TK carburetor problem. When it runs for the 30-45 seconds, I now note there is fuel coming out of the overflow tube. That is normal when priming to fill the diaphragm/fuel metering chamber, but I think the overflow vent valve should be closed when not priming. The brass priming vent valve is pressed into the carb body and other than dripping some MEK in it to clean the seat, I don't see a way to repair it. Charlie.

• james7339
    17 years ago

Charlie,

I hope you have found a solution and this is old news to you, but I am having exactly the same problem with a model 3000 Commercial which has the TK carb. I installed a carb overhaul kit with no improvement and after following in your footsteps and suggestions from all others (many thanks), I have not found a successful cure. At first there was no problem with fuel overflowing, just starvation as you described. Later, after much priming, the overflow problem developed. I "rigged" it to run at medium to high speed, adjusting fuel flow by bending the rocker arm at the needle/seat, but still have the overflow at idle speed. My next move is to replace the carb unless you have found a solution you can share. Even though my Green Machine has spent MOST its time hanging in our garage, I can't seem to give it up. It is a VERY good tool in the rough when it is needed.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Jim W.

• dmullen
    17 years ago

Does anyone happen to have an exploded view of this engine and carb? I have a Green Machine 3000 LP

Thanks

• alvin4
    17 years ago

Hi,if you installed the carburetor rebuild kit correctly;check and be sure that the little holes for the pulse in the Head/intake/carburetor are aligned [if no pulse from piston,the diaphragm doesn't work].

• alvin4
    17 years ago

Hi,I forgot;if your Carb has a little valve [push & pull in left side]the name is ""Slow stop screw"" pull out and always keep this stupid valve out.

• marvin_grower
    16 years ago

3000S bought new,seems like in the 1900's.Been throught carb 3X.3 spark plugs,changed fuel 2X.Fuel never turned 2 varnish.Cleaned fuel filter & ran without & still stalls after 2 minutes.Good compression.I would put a NEW fuel filter & line assembly if i could find one.or i could put the mouse on it.The fuel shut off went bad so i put a plug[metal],4 the 2 minutes it does run - it's a real bear.thanks

• george-n22060
    14 years ago

Could someone tell me where to purchase a new carb for my Green Machine 3000LP? I feel like I have looked everywhere.
    Thanks,
    GEORGE

• mgc0424_shaw_ca
    12 years ago

Have similar starvation problem with GM 2500 w/TK carb. Carb was soaked in Gunk engine degreaser for 12 hrs then all ports flushed with compressed air. Have changed metering & fuel diaphragms and gaskets, washers, intake gasket, metering/inlet needle and fuel line/filter inside fuel tank (parts ordered from mymowerparts.com). Now can't get it to start (made sure carb/head gasket pulse hole aligned). Compression is good but it seems metering needle not being opened to allow fuel in. What is the 'pin' in the center of the metering chamber for? It's under spring tension and presses against the end of the metering lever. It appears to keep the meter lever and inlet needle from moving to allow fuel in (note: I'm not referring to the spring closest to the meter lever' s fulcrum). Also, has anyone found an exploded view of the carb?

• dmullen
    12 years ago

I had my Green Machine fixed once with a new carb and I think that they told me the engine was a Shindawa. Not sure though because its been a while.

• cali_che_00_htmail_com
    12 years ago

I need and spring for string trimmer head. model 1900

• cali_che_00_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

I need and spring for string trimmer head. model 1900

• erjindra_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Carlos,
    You might recheck the model number on that trimmer. I got a Greeen Machine ~30 years ago. The power head was a model 1900, but the trimmer head was model 2331.
    RonJ