Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brewdog_gw

Trimmer attachment brands?

brewdog
13 years ago

I am looking to buy some attachments for my string trimmer and wanted to know if there are specific good/bad brands that I should be on the look-out for. Specifically I am looking to get an edger and hedge trimmer.

I typically start at Sears for stuff like this but it seems that Craftsman quality is hit or miss these days. Also read good things about the Poulan attachments, but they seem hard to find.

Any guidance or experiences appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments (3)

• yungman
    13 years ago

Don't get Craftsman or Troybilt type. For the matter of fact, Poulan. Particular the hedge trimmer, the blade is very very important. The good ones not only is dual action where the two blades move in opposite direction as oppose to the cheap ones that one blade is stationary and only one blade move. Also the good blade are true knife edge rather than blades like paper cutter type.

If you want a hedge trimmer attachment, look at Shindaiwa. I have the M242 with the short reach articulate hedge trimmer. Only Shindaiwa and Husqvarna have short reach. Echo and Stihl only have the longer ones. Good point about the short reach is that it is short enough that you pretty hold the gear box when you trim and you can have as good control as the regular hedge trimmer. I don't use a regular hedge trimmer anymore.

The 4 cycle M2510 is good too. Remember don't go cheap on the hedge trimmer.

• rcmoser
    13 years ago

First off you need to know what type attachemtns you need and who manufactures them. MTd quick-link are the most wide spread and cheaper in price. Do you have a MTD product (sears, Troybilt, Poulan, Ect.)? I refuse to spend more for a trimmer attachment than I gave for the trimmer. Try Ebay you can usually pick them up for 1/2 or 1/3 the price.

• yungman
    13 years ago

I have Troybilt multi tool trimmer. In fact it is my first trimmer and I still have it. The engine is actually pretty good. I don't like their string trimmer head and I looked at their hedge trimmer blade and I don't like it a bit. As I said, the hedge trimmer quality is very important. This is what the poster named.

I actually bought and return their pole saw attachment because after I put it together, it is way too short, only about 7 feet which is useless. I end up buying a remington electric pole saw.

In my opinion, you can go cheap on the string trimmer, you have to pay for a good hedge trimmer, it really make a difference. Want a good cheap hedge trimmer, get Kawasaki 600S 24" hedge trimmer on ebay as low as $229, those have real blades and is light duty commercial quality. Then get a cheap MTD trimmer if you want. But I would still stay with something like the Echo SRM225, Husky 125L or Kawasaki KTR27 all at about $200 and all commercial quality. You can get both for below $500.