Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is the old Screaming Briggs starter clutch worn or just dry

Posted by loger (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 30, 11 at 18:43

Is the old Screaming Briggs starter clutch worn or just dry from the lack of a few drops of oil? I’m sure the scream is from the starter engaging. I am not connecting with why when all looks clean, free and no wear. Naturally I have seen some that had excessive wear in the bearings area and needed replacing. From what I remember, they d/n scream vs slipping while cranking.

My neighbor had a screamer that she was ashamed to use vs telling me about it. In the pre 90s I remembered it being a quick fix. I felt seeing the starter inside I would remember But No Luck! Finally I saw the small hole that I felt was for oil. A few drops of machine oil allowed them to cut their yard w/o almost a scream. loger

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is the old Screaming Briggs starter clutch worn or just dry

If you talking about the old pull rope recoil type it has three balls that centrifical force throws them out to disengage. Probably either dirty or rusty and got slow ball. oil will help if you do it every few weeks. I have had success especially on tiller horz. shaft types by drilling small hole and giving it good squrit of Wd40 or liquid wrench. seems like once they start screeming they rarely stop. Something get worn and causes the balls to stick some I guess?

o

rcmoser, The old rope started is the starter I'm speaking of but this one had at least 5 bearings. Not seeing any rust, wear or grease/grime to cause resistance is what threw me. Next, for the oil to stop the scream, what did it do (reduce the friction between the starter and crank)? For the hole to be there, it seems it might have been designed to be oiled between crank and starter vs any on or in the bearings area.

After 40 years of small engine work and computer work, I'm understanding, "Use It Or Loose It"! At lease the small engine technology did not change as fast as the computers. Both are fun to try and keep up with except for the spending on the faster moving computers. loger

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 1, 11 at 5:18

The squeak is coming from the end of the crank where it inserts into the bushing of the starter hub.

o

Bayme, I saw some damaged cranks (due to not using flywheel pullers) in the pre 90’s causing the scream. In most cases we were able to dress the end of the crank on a lathe to get it back in service w/o screaming. I’m seeing oil will attract grime and cause the scream, I’m seeing clean, un-damaged cranks and clutches scream, I’m seeing light drops of oil stop the scream. I would like to get a Certified B & S Mechanic’s opinion of the scream. IMO, I feel wear is the problem but was it designed to be oiled? I also feel there are only a few screamers out there, as often as STUFF Is Retired? loger

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 1, 11 at 15:14

It's been awhile, but I don't remember that there is any way that dirt can get up to that shaft.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here