Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
searsman_gw

McCULLOCH 10-10s saw

Searsman
18 years ago

I got a nice looking Pro MAC 10-10s a few weeks ago and was wondering what thoughts there are about this saw. The only thing wrong with it was the muffler was lose. It seems there was a gasket but it is gone. I just tightened the muffler to block untill I can find one if I need one. The thing runs very good and has plenty of power. I picked up a used 24 inch bar and chain for this saw and it had enough power to really make that big bar work. Anyone know what this saw sold for new?

Wes

Comments (12)

• nevada_walrus
    18 years ago

Don't remember their cost, they were about to the end of their production when I first started in this buisiness. Low revving by todays standards but lots of torque, you can bog them down a bunch compared to todays saws. Heavy and no anti-vibe, your body will know its had a work out after using one for a while. But just the same, it was near the top of its size class at the time

The 10-10 was one of the last saws Mac built which built the Mac name. They pretty much went down hill after that.

• hlw49
    18 years ago

It was a good reliable saw. I would question it would have the power to pull a 24 inch bar as it is a 3.3 or a 3.55 cubic inch saw. If it has a compression release it is the 3.55 if not it is a 3.3 cu. inch saw. Last ones I saw sold for around $359.95. The saw didn't have a gasket that fit around the muffler bolts rather it set in a recess in the port. Part no. is 84007. Later Butch

• Searsman
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the info. The saw has compression release so I know what size it is. The owners manual says it can take up to a 28 inch bar? I had the 24 bar sunk all the way to cut though at least a 30 inch log, I was impressed by how fast it cut. The 28 incher if I ever found one cheap would be too much and the 24 is Plenty for me. I was pretty wiped out after a few hours running this saw but that big bar looked impressive going though the wood!

Thanks again, Wes

• robpm_ix_netcom_com
    17 years ago

I was searching on the web for the McCulloch Pro MAC 10-10S because I inherited my fathers which has had very little use. However the oil tank cover was loose and I am wondering if the gasket is OK so I was trying to search for a gasket part and I also was trying to find a manual for it since I do not know what the fuel to oil ratio mixture is for it. I own a couple of Stihl's and they are 50:1 and I believe these older saws did not have this ratio. If anyone has a manual that they have scanned in PDF and would be willing to share it would be great.

Thanks for any insight that you may have.

Thanks for your help.

Rob

• dustyol2stroke
    17 years ago

The company I work for has a patnership with McCulloch for US parts distribution on new equipment and all support of models that were made before 1999.... if you call the 18004236302 number on your saw or owners manual you'd get us at DixieSales. I'm in charge of MCC there and checked all thru everything we have from the factory and no owners book, (the number of the book, however incase you find one is 93249). I do have an IPL however on microfiche, (card 21).

The 10-10 and 10-10 Super are fairly old, and your ratio is 32:1... unit was made from August 1967 to May 1970. Hope this helps!! db

• chainsawhappy
    15 years ago

They are good saws and very strong. I have one that I used for a long time and never found a tree it couldn't chew up and spit out. I still have mine but need a flywheel for it. I somehow managed to reem out the center of it. If you all know anyone that has one or know where I could get one, I would be very grateful. But, even with it broke down, I still wouldn't get rid of it.

• muddyyj_sbcglobal_net
    15 years ago

I have a Mac 10-10a that I just acquired...but I don't have a manual for it. My question is- do I need to oil the large rubber & mesh filter that goes between the black cover & the compartment that covers the carb? I think it was oiled before, but it won't run with the filter on.

• donato_2010
    13 years ago

Help help
    I need a clutch for my McCulloch pro mac 10 10s.
    In Italy don't exist this part.
    Can you help me???
    I need a shop for buy this part, in Usa or other country
    Thanks for all information about my great chain saw.
    Please contact me autopedra@yahoo.it

• Jeffreaux
    10 years ago

About 15 yrs ago I got a 1010s that my kids ordered new for my Christmas gift. It called for a 24" bar but, my son got the 20" with it( extra power). It had never let me down and had out cut the other saws people was using on side of me. If it didn't start by the 3rd-4th pull, I checked or changed the spark plug. This past 8 months it quit running and wouldn't start. (I'm sure it the carb). If it never runs again still wouldn't get rid of ole faithful.

• Henry Zieman
    2 years ago

I have not gotten into the Mac 10-10 at this point far enough to know the vintage, but, the price was right. I had to dispose of some copper at our local recycler. Anyway, while there I am always nosing around for stuff! Looked in the aluminum pile and there were about 15 Poulans, all apart, and this one vintage Mac 10-10! It had a repair tag on it and the pull rope was broken. Traded the copper for the Mac, got it home, cleaned it up, got the old rope out and replaced, cleaned out all the oily sawdust residue, put it together, filled it with, 20:1 and chain oil, and to my amazement, 3 pulls and it was off and running. This model has the chain brake and left side start pull. Any help on the vintage is welcome. Serial number 13-34485 and Model # 6000130 I think.

• ssewalk1
    2 years ago

Nice find Henry , if you decide to sell it , head to the Arborist forum , plenty of buyers there !

• HU-717777488
    last year

I’ve had the 10-10s for 38 years and it still runs perfect. A $1000 dollar saw might not replace it. 24” bar piece of cake. Keep the chain sharp always. Touch up the chain every 2 or 3 tanks of gas .