Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
AMES Garden Tools & Reccomendations?

Posted by cpga (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 3, 10 at 19:49

What is with AMES having a monopoly on Garden tools @ Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, & ACE? I wanted to buy a nice garden hoe and this was the only brand either store carried. Obviously, they wont carry top of the line stuff, but from reviews that I have read, the AMES garden hoes are crap quality. Can anybody recommend a good brand for garden hoes(grub hoe to be exact)? Has anybody used Belloto products?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: AMES Garden Tools & Reccomendations?

I have never been fond of Ames, myself, from personal experience. None of the stores you listed surprise me as far as only carrying Ames, with the exception of Ace. I am somewhat bumfuzzled by that. My only suggestion would be to continue searching at the smallest of hardware stores. You may have to look in some of your smaller surrounding towns. I personally shop two small hardware stores in my area and never have any trouble finding quality gardening tools. But then again, I try to stay away from those first three stores "as much as possible" and give my money to the little guys. One of my personal favorite brands of tools is True Temper, which I have found out as I speak, is an Ames brand! I guess Ames does carry a good line of tools after all. I hope this has been of some assistance.

o

Yeah I went to some mom&pop store that I thought was affiliated with Ace, so maybe im wrong. I darted in there real quick. But either way, yeah they carried Ames and some other name brand I never heard of.
Thanks for replying. I'm starting to think Vigoro, True Temper, and Ames are all under the same umbrella. I'm quite surprised that Home Depot doesn't carry a Vigoro garden hoe. I know Vigoro isn't the best but it sure is sufficient quality considering the cost benefit. I'll keep on looking. Thanks.

o

Lee Valley Tools out of Canada have about a dozen different patterns of hoes. Most of their tools are top quality. Prices start at about $25. and go up to about $50. plus shipping, but no tax.

In defense of Home Depot et.al., I doubt if many of their customers want to pay $25. let alone $50. for a hoe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here