Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cpga_gw

AMES Garden Tools & Reccomendations?

cpga
13 years ago

What is with AMES having a monopoly on Garden tools @ Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, & ACE? I wanted to buy a nice garden hoe and this was the only brand either store carried. Obviously, they wont carry top of the line stuff, but from reviews that I have read, the AMES garden hoes are crap quality. Can anybody recommend a good brand for garden hoes(grub hoe to be exact)? Has anybody used Belloto products?

Comments (8)

• kentc80
    13 years ago

I have never been fond of Ames, myself, from personal experience. None of the stores you listed surprise me as far as only carrying Ames, with the exception of Ace. I am somewhat bumfuzzled by that. My only suggestion would be to continue searching at the smallest of hardware stores. You may have to look in some of your smaller surrounding towns. I personally shop two small hardware stores in my area and never have any trouble finding quality gardening tools. But then again, I try to stay away from those first three stores "as much as possible" and give my money to the little guys. One of my personal favorite brands of tools is True Temper, which I have found out as I speak, is an Ames brand! I guess Ames does carry a good line of tools after all. I hope this has been of some assistance.

• evdpgh
    13 years ago

Lee Valley Tools out of Canada have about a dozen different patterns of hoes. Most of their tools are top quality. Prices start at about $25. and go up to about $50. plus shipping, but no tax.

In defense of Home Depot et.al., I doubt if many of their customers want to pay $25. let alone $50. for a hoe.

• HU-444176291
    3 years ago

Ames /True Temper garden tools are worthless junk designed to last at best, 40-50 hours of hard garden work! No better than worthless Chinese trash that can be found on USA store racks! Any garden hoe or rake that the business end is only stuck in a hole in the wooden handle is Junk! Ames, like so many companies these days, tries to get sales by touting, Made in the USA as if that means quality! The last 4 garden tools purchased from Ames lasted less than 25 hours of work each! The 15 year warranty on these tools is not worth the time to apply for. Who would want another defective tool from Ames? Ames/True Temper is a national disgrace for selling this type of junk while displaying( proudly?) Made in the USA as if to confirm Good Quality! They owe me for the time /work lost by me choosing their products, that lost work is worth far more than the cost of these junk tools!

• HU-444176291
    3 years ago

BTW! Johnny's Seed company is another company that sells quality hoes and garden rakes, but be prepared for much higher prices! I wish the big stores that sell garden tools did the same!

• HU-337859981
    3 years ago

After purchasing an Ames 16-tine bow rake, I couldn't agree more with your quality assessment! Purchased less than a year ago from Lowes (Who offered no help or replacement whatsoever!) and have used it twice on my postage stamp size front yard. Fell apart less than half way through. Can't contact Ames for replacement as their website states "Due to the Covid pandemic they cannot process any warranty returns via phone or email." So much for the 15yr. warranty! The handle of mine looks brand new with not so much as a smudge in the print on the original labels. No rust or scratches on the tines either. I will never purchase another Ames product!

• FRAN
    last year
    last modified: last year

YES I AGREE, AMES PRODUCTS ARE JUNK. I BOUGHT THE RECOMMENDED BY SALE PERSON THEIR BEST RAKE (PLASTIC) AND THE TEETH BROKE & THEM THE HANDLED DISLODGRD ITSELF FROM THE RAKE.

.HOME DEPOT STOPPED CARRYING AMES RAKES FOR THE OBVIOUS REASONS THEY NOW CARRY HUSKY RAKES, GREAT PRODUCT.

AMES STATES TO HAVE A LIFETIME WARRANTY, SENT THEM THE PICTURES AND PAPERWORK THEY DENIED REPLACEMENT, SO MUCH FIR A " LIFETIME WARRANTY " WHAT A JOKE THEY ARE.IN ADDITION THEY WERE NOT FRIENDLY AT ALL !!!

STAY AWAY FROM AMES PRODUCTS., DO YOURSELF A BIG FAVOR.

• William Shaw
    29 days ago
    last modified: 29 days ago

Ditto with the observations of the handle held to the hoe by a wooden dowel. Perhaps more disturbing is that though "15 Year Warranty" is emblazoned on the handle, that warranty will only be honored if you have your receipt. I don't know about you, but I don't save receipts on garden implements for 15 years. Thoroughly dissatisfied.