Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too Much Large Pecan Wood

Posted by loger (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 19:55

Too Much Large Pecan Wood on the curb for the taking in 100 degree heat vs the winter and heavy equipment. This has become common due to the old neighborhood’s needs and competitive rates. With my racks full, I am being very select on close small green oak or Pecan. I took a close load of green Red Oak 4”-8” dia + cut off the 12"+ dia major limb this week down from poor trimming and rot on a 50 yr old tree. The major limb is still there.

The Pecan on the truck is what a friend is asking me to help him split. My reply is when it’s below 70 degrees daily after our North TX Heat Wave. He needs to saw up that wood “with his saw” into blocks since it will be for future BBQ and Ext fires.

The Bottom Line! I will not to put myself or equipment out in this heat when I have worked to beat the heat. If I had the space I would store more of the pre cut 12” dia oak and pecan for the seasons to come (splitting it when needed vs now). The wood above 12” dia needs to go to the wood yards where they have heavier equipment for handling the large 18”-36” + dia wood.

It would be interesting to know if wood yards would take this large wood free since it cost to take this wood to private Land Fills. The City charges over a certain amount on the curb per month. The attach load is probably within the City Free Pick-up since there is no brush.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too Much Large Pecan Wood

I'm getting tired just looking at that curb. Every single piece of that would require too much work to cut for my stove. And the Defiant takes a 24" log. About 20 yrs ago, I limited my daily chainsaw use to a single tank of mix.

o

Depends on how good Pecan wood is for BBQ! But I think the local rotisserie place down the road uses apple wood.

A couple of people on Texas BBQ forum said they preferred pecan to mesquite.

o

Hell I have used Apple , Hickory and Beechnut in my Smoker and would love to have ample supply of Pecan but rather limited here in the great White North ! Nice Road side picking Loger , you had better have that Son in Law give you a hand with those larger slabs lol .

o

I find good flavors from many hard woods. Hickory, Pecan, Mesquite certain Oaks (Live Oak and Black Jack) have been the favorites and plentiful in North TX. All seasoned a year IMO but my best known BBQ Business uses Green Hickory for flavor and gas for heat.

I’m past wanting or collecting large wood period, Ewalk, with help or not due to the recovery time. LOL! Attach is one of my favorite loads of 4”- 12” dia logs (electric sawing at home) blocks vs miles from home. What is a Rule Of Thumbs of a load vs overloading my stock 07 SR5 Toyota 4 Runner? I have had 12 blocks (1200 lbs with help) in it that I felt looked OK with most in front of the axle (blocks vs miles) but I feel my cargo capacity is 1,000 lbs. Lazy Me! I have a utility trailer with heavy springs/axle I hate to use unless I know it’s needed X 1/2 -3/4 cord.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here