Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cjcocn

Building Tow-Behind Tiller

cjcocn
16 years ago

Hello all!

Well, I've decided to build me a tow-behind tiller. I will have it self-contained so that I can pull it with my quad.

Does anyone out there own such an animal? If so, can you tell me some things about your tow-behind?

- what type of gears drive it?

- does it have wheels? If so, are they adjustable? (ie. do they drop down for travel)

- how wide is it?

- how big is the engine?

- are you willing to email me a pic?

- any other info that you think will help

I am considering the possibility of taking the handles off of my Sears Roto-Spader (if the local place ever finds me some cylinder head bolts), adding some extra tines, and building a tow hitch. Does anyone see anything wrong with this idea?

Thanks!

Chris

Comments (7)

• rrcrossing
    16 years ago

Following is an article I got out of Farmshow.

Tiller Trailer" Takes The Work Out Of Rototilling

"I'm 72 years old and find that it's much easier to ride a garden Tractor than it is to wrestle with a front tine rototiller," says Virlyn Burie, Wallace, Mich., who built a "tiller trailer" for his 30-year-old Deere rototiller. It allows him to pull the rototiller behind his Sears garden tractor, instead of having to operate it manually.
    The 2-wheeled trailer is made from 2 by 2 steel tubing and pins to the sides of the rototiller. A sprocket-type lever welded on front of the trailer attaches to a hinged bracket he mounted on front of the tiller. He uses the trailer-mounted lever to control the depth of the tiller. The trailer is painted Deere green to match the tiller.
    "I use it on my 30 by 60-ft. garden. If works great," says Burie. "The rototiller has a forward motion of its own so the garden tractor is just guiding it, not pulling it. It takes only about 30 seconds to remove the Rototiller from the trailer if I ever need to operate it manually.

"To operate the rototiller. I roll it into the trailer frame and pin it on. After rope starting the tiller and revving up the throttle. I adjust the lever to the depth I want. Then I jump on the tractor and go. Usually I operate the rototiller at its maximum depth.
    "I spent $5 apiece for the wheels, which I bought new. The rest of the trailer was built from scrap material. Commercial Rototillers designed to be pulled behind a garden tractor arc available, but they can sell for as muchas $1.000.

"The key in building it is to locate the pivot points so the rototiller always operates at the proper depth. Before building the brackets, I put both the trailer and rototiller on a level floor and put wood blocks under the trailer until I had the rototiller at the depth I wanted it. Then I marked the spots for the pins."

He used 1/4-in. steel plate to make the cog-type lever. The lever handle pivots from the center of the sprocket. To make the teeth, he placed a chain sprocket on the metal and then traced around it. Then he drilled around an old no. 60 chain sprocket.

Homemade brackets attach permanently to the rototiller. A 3/4-in. pipe welded to a piece of 2 by 4 rectangular tubing mounts across the rear with a 1/2-in. bolt. On front of the tiller is a yoke that mounts across the front and sides of the tiller frame that pins to the depth lever.
    "At first I tried mounting a length of angle iron across the front of the rototiller and hooked it onto the lever. However, whenever the rototiller would hit a stone it would lurch upward and bend the tiller frame. Plating the sides of the tiller frame to the angle iron with 4 by 3/16-in. plate solved the problem," notes Burie.
    Contact: FARM SHOW Followup, Virlyn Burie, N5199R1 Lane, Wallace, Mich. 49893 (ph 906 788-4279; email: joanburie@ alphacomm.net).

• maineman
    16 years ago

Chris,

There are several commercial tillers that attach to garden or lawn tractors. For example, the Bercomac Rotary Tiller.

However, for a Quad ATV you might be interested in something like the Agri-Fab Rototiller.

MM

• cjcocn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

rrcrossing

Thanks for the article! I also found another write up on a different forum where the guy built new shafts and mounting plates for his tines. He adapted an old tiller by taking off the handles, building a draw bar, and rigging up an engagement lever.

I managed to get a few pics of that, plus some other home made tow-behind tillers and once I can find some extra tines I will have a go at it.

maineman

I like building, plus we have only been here for two years so have more projects than money! I have read some good reviews on the Agri-Fab and if I could afford to I would buy one in a heartbeat, but our finances dictate that I save where I can.

Thanks for the responses fellas!

Chris

• steveharr
    15 years ago

Did you ever start this? I would also love that information and pictures of others you have found. If you did do yours have you got pics etc of that too, I'd love to see it.

Steve.

• steveharr
    15 years ago

Can anyone else point me in the right direction with this?

• diviner
    14 years ago

Does anyone have a drawing or pattern to the to cut and bend tiller tines, from plate.
    I have a small fabrication business, and can order thes plates Laser cut, and bend them heat treat them myself if necessary. I can do all the rest at my shop. I would like to make a 36 inch tow behind, Electric "Gearmotor" driven tiller, that I can pull behind my pickup truck. Any plans would be helpful too. Thanks
    Conrad

• maintairick_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

does anyone have pictures i could follow to build one.id gladly pay for the directions thanks