Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to keep critters out of garage

Posted by mopower440 tn (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 28, 12 at 20:36

I live in middle TN. I have a 24x30 pole building for a garage. I have wasps, mud daubers and spiders taking over the place, any good barrier sprays to use to keep them out? Now, the bigger problem, i was cleaning the garage out the other day and saw a mouse running around, and even worse, found 2 snakeskins! Is there any true things i can put in there that will deter snakes and mice from wanting to get in there? I always heard moth balls work for snakes but then read that it was a myth..
help!!!
thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to keep critters out of garage

A hungry cat

o

• Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 29, 12 at 15:29

Google Moth Balls as a repellent, I did and they're claimed to be good for repelling all kinds of things. Just note the cautions as they're attractive to and deadly to pets and little kids.

Good luck,

Ev

o

The spiders and snakes are your friends.
The spiders eat insects and the snakes
eat mice. If those food sources weren't
there, they wouldn't be there either.

o

• Posted by zenman Ottawa KS 5b (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 1, 12 at 12:42

Hi Mopower,

"I have a 24x30 pole building for a garage. I have wasps, mud daubers and spiders taking over the place, any good barrier sprays to use to keep them out?"

If the building is completely enclosed, you could try Hotshot No-Pest Strips. However, they won't solve your mouse and snake problem. The best control there is to eliminate any way that they can get into the garage. Make sure there is no space under your garage door, and that any windows don't offer access. Mice can squeeze under a very narrow space under a door. A good garage door has a flap that seals against the ground. Deploy some mouse traps and sticky traps in your garage to deal with the current population.

ZM
(not associated with any product or vendor mentioned or linked)

o

• Posted by zenman Ottawa KS 5b (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 1, 12 at 16:46

Hi again, Mopower,

I should point out that the Hotshot No-Pest Strips contain 18.6% Dichlorvos (O,O-dimethyl O-(2,2-dichlorovinyl) phosphate) or DDVP for short, which is a nerve poison and possible carcinogen. Incidentally, it is not an insect repellent, as it is described on the Amazon website. This strip is apparently very similar to the Shell No-Pest Strip, which was pulled from the market in the United States many years ago. Actually, I am surprised that the government is allowing these Hotshot No-Pest Strips to be sold in the U.S. And I am disappointed that Amazon is mislabeling them. And I wouldn't want to breathe the vapor from one. So, I am retracting that No-Pest Strip recommendation. I have wasps in my garage, and I think I will let them be.

ZM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here