Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikeinmadison

Which Saw???????????

mikeinmadison
13 years ago

Thanks for your help!

Here's the deal:

I need a new saw after chucking a two year-old big box Poulan piece of junk. I considered giving it to Goodwill but I couldn't in good conscience let anyone else have to use it. It started hard, ran rough, and was poorly balanced. I trimmed trees for 3 years during college and used mostly Stihls, so I might have been spoiled.

Anyway, although I don't currently need the power of the Stihl 290 (we live on a couple of acres and I use a saw sporadically), I like that saw for obvious reasons. If I did need to cut up something big, it would make easy work of it, but it would also work okay for occasional pruning, etc. I'm trying to decide if it's too much saw for what I'm dealing with -- mostly tree trimming, etc. I could go with a less powerful, lighter saw and might be happier given what I currently need a saw for. The Echos/Shindaiwas seem to offer more for the money in a smaller saw than Stihl. I'm interested in your thoughts...

Think I should get a 9.5lb Echo instead of the 13lb Stihl, given what I use it for? Other thoughts or considerations?

Thanks!

Comments (5)