Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which Saw???????????

Posted by mikeinmadison WI (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 7, 10 at 21:32

Thanks for your help!
Here's the deal:
I need a new saw after chucking a two year-old big box Poulan piece of junk. I considered giving it to Goodwill but I couldn't in good conscience let anyone else have to use it. It started hard, ran rough, and was poorly balanced. I trimmed trees for 3 years during college and used mostly Stihls, so I might have been spoiled.

Anyway, although I don't currently need the power of the Stihl 290 (we live on a couple of acres and I use a saw sporadically), I like that saw for obvious reasons. If I did need to cut up something big, it would make easy work of it, but it would also work okay for occasional pruning, etc. I'm trying to decide if it's too much saw for what I'm dealing with -- mostly tree trimming, etc. I could go with a less powerful, lighter saw and might be happier given what I currently need a saw for. The Echos/Shindaiwas seem to offer more for the money in a smaller saw than Stihl. I'm interested in your thoughts...

Think I should get a 9.5lb Echo instead of the 13lb Stihl, given what I use it for? Other thoughts or considerations?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which Saw???????????

I believe either a Echo or a Solo Homeowner Saw vs a Professional Grade would be more than adequate for your needs c/w a 16" Roller Tip Bar . If you have another couple
of bucks a 440E or 455 Husky Homeowner again would be a Great Choice . Good Luck ! Actually the New Polan Pro with
a 18-20 Bar is a Reliable Saw for normal backyard arborist c/w Saw Case Files xtra chain....but won't put a Gun to your head lol !

o

I agree that you would be better off with a lighter saw. Let the size of the wood you cut determine what size saw you need. A good rule of thumb is that you need ~3cc of displacement for 1" of bar. You can run larger bars but they saw won't pull the chain as well. It's doable, you just have to go easier. If you really are just trimming, a 14" bar might do ya fine. 16" is a good all around size but adds weight. At 20" you're getting into firewood saws like the 290/310.

For occasional to medium use I think the Echo would be a good choice. I have never run them but I think they are a reliable lightweight saw. If you do only run it occasionally take extra care with it. There aren't many things more aggravating than having a couple hundred dollar piece of equipment die after 2-3 used because the gas has gone bad, lines cracked, etc.

o

I have the Echo CS-370 with 16" bar and find it to be an enjoyable saw to use. It starts very easy and oils the chain well. I don't use my saws very often so I drain the fuel and run them dry when I'm finished and it seems that this prevents problems the next time I need to use them. Particularly important when you live in the hurricane belt.

o

Thanks guys
I'm going to go with the Echo, and drain it when not in use.

o

Almost all new Echo saws come set to lean now days , you need to pull the limiter caps and adjust richer, it will have more power and won't burn up if you do that. Other than being set to lean they a high quality saw at a good price. Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here