Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A watermelon "plugger"

Posted by Noteybook 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 27, 14 at 21:38

What I have in this picture is something called a watermelon plugger, where I've found in a VERY old fashioned store. You stick it in the melon, twist, turn, and take out a piece to try.

I have never heard, seen, or been able to find anything remotely like it.

I was wondering if there was another name it goes by, or something else-I mean, from my understanding this tool is around 60 years old, and I can't seem to find any sort of info about it.

I apologize if this is the wrong forum, I just didn't know where else to post it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A watermelon "plugger"

It could be used for carving fruit also.

o

Interesting. In pre WWII days, watermelons were plugged at farm stands/fruit markets so that the buyer was assured of a good melon. Faded into the past with the advent of super markets. Usually the tool was a big pocket knife. Thta device would be a lot quicker.

o

I had a relatively country-boy friend from Michigan point out it looks like a seed sower-and, after searching, there are some with that similar cone shape.

The place it's from, farmerdill, is a super old fashioned place. They assure quality, let you taste test melons(and some apples, grapes, or other small things if you ask nice). They don't know where they got this from, but supposedly it was from the original owner who also owned peach trees and sold local peaches.

I'm just curious, there seems like there'd be a lot of history behind this and I'm having trouble finding it.

o

I would also try in the Vegetable Gardening forum.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/cornucop/

o

It looks like a rope splicing tool. Are the edges very sharp?

Al

o

The edges have some teeth to them, but they're not very sharp. I'd say similar to a butterknife.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here