Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rototiller motor vs Lawnmower engine.. help

Posted by CAguy none (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 1, 11 at 21:42

I have an old sears front time rototiller. While trying to take the flywheel off, the shaft broke.

I'm wanting to just get a 5 hp briggs off a mower and place
it on the tiller. A repair shop told me that a mower engine
won't work because the tiller motors have a heavier flywheel
than the mower engines. I guess for balance or something. I didn't understand what he was saying.

My question is, is this true or is it something that I should be worried about? If I can, I'd put the tiller flywheel on the mower engine if the hole size is correct but other than that, does anyone know if just the regular mower engine would work as far as balance and power?

The one that came off the tiller has a vertical shaft and 4 bolts just like a lawn mower engine. I could always fab the body of the tiller to make it work but my main concern is if the engine will last.

Thanks for your time.

I look forward to your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rototiller motor vs Lawnmower engine.. help

With the lawnmower flywheel it will be hard to start due to the lack of inertia provided by the blade. The governor will hunt a lot for the same reason. Been there, done that w/ a wheeled weedeater. The flywheel off the old engine wouldn't fit the lawnmower engine crankshaft. If yours will interchange you're in luck.
Mike

o

Hmmm interesting info.

thanks Mike, Much appreciated.

o

Many years ago I had the same problem, back when lawn mowers and tillers were about 2.5 or 3 hp. I found that the cast iron fly wheel off my tiller fit on the lawn mower engine and worked fine.

Larry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here